Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New MacBook Pro Will Not Update Apps

I just bought a brand new MacBook Pro and wants me to update some apps (Keynote, Numbers and Pages) but then when I try it says:

"Cannot Update App

Keynote cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID."

(for example)

I only have one Apple ID and I have only signed in using this Apple ID on this brand new computer.

What is the issue/how do I resolve this?

MacBook Pro 13″, 10.15

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 2:14 PM

App cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID

See What to do when the Mac App Store shows a different Apple ID for software updates https://www.macworld.com/article/3267709/mac-app-store-apple-id.html. This document refers to a prior owner, but is also applies to cases where a current owner's old Apple ID is the problem.

Basically, If an app is purchased/downloaded using one Apple ID, then you can't update it with another Apple ID. The app is inextricably linked to the first Apple ID. You'll have to delete it and repurchase/download it again with the second Apple ID. 

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2020 2:14 PM in response to WantToGetIt

App cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID

See What to do when the Mac App Store shows a different Apple ID for software updates https://www.macworld.com/article/3267709/mac-app-store-apple-id.html. This document refers to a prior owner, but is also applies to cases where a current owner's old Apple ID is the problem.

Basically, If an app is purchased/downloaded using one Apple ID, then you can't update it with another Apple ID. The app is inextricably linked to the first Apple ID. You'll have to delete it and repurchase/download it again with the second Apple ID. 

Jun 18, 2020 3:35 PM in response to donv_the_ghost

Thank you. I had used the one Apple ID that I have so it wasn't a matter of signing in with a different Apple ID - but your recommendation is great for someone that has done that!

I was able to chat with Apple and they said that that is actually a common issue with the 2020 MacBookPro they said that because some apps are older that the new Macbook Pro does not respond well to them and won't update them so they are just recommending that people delete them and reinstall the new versions.

I did that and it worked :)

Brand New MacBook Pro Will Not Update Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.