Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi issues after 13.5.1 update

I have a model 8 and recently installed the 13.5 update. My phone had worked fine for a few days, but then it abruptly stopped being able to access anything on wifi. I have a strong wifi signal going to the phone and it says that it is connected, but running apps or trying to open anything on the web is so slow that it times out. All the other devices - minus the other iPhones in the house - are working fine on that same network. I can access all the apps and the internet through 5G just fine on the phone, and it worked fine on wifi until last night. I have already tried the following:

• rebooting the router (both soft and hard)
  • turning wifi on and off on the phone
  • rebooting the phone
  • resetting the network settings on the phone
  • removing the network from the phone and adding it back on

If it's related to the update, I am hoping that Apple will quickly provide a fix for this as it is really frustrating (and makes it so that I can't play my Sonos...). Any ideas?

iPhone 8

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 5:08 PM

As it worked for a few days after updating it almost certainly has nothing to do with the update; if it was update related it would have shown immediately.

Well, start here—>Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Also, try changing the channel in your router.

You’ve already done most of the troubleshooting I would have done under similar circumstances. What I would do next is back it up and restore it to factory settings. If the problem persists before the phone is set up again my guess would be a coincidental hardware failure. If it works when enabled with only factory settings try restoring your backup.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2020 5:08 PM in response to rlb1963

As it worked for a few days after updating it almost certainly has nothing to do with the update; if it was update related it would have shown immediately.

Well, start here—>Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Also, try changing the channel in your router.

You’ve already done most of the troubleshooting I would have done under similar circumstances. What I would do next is back it up and restore it to factory settings. If the problem persists before the phone is set up again my guess would be a coincidental hardware failure. If it works when enabled with only factory settings try restoring your backup.

Jun 25, 2020 1:54 PM in response to rlb1963

I am having the same issue. I also have seen a couple day lag or I might not have noticed it. My wifi is ridiculously slow now. Takes like 2 minutes to send a regular iphone photo! Safari pages take ages to load. Something is DEFINITELY not right. Phone works fine under LTE (which is probs why I didn't notice it because I downloaded over the weekend and was out all weekend). This needs to be fixed!

Jul 3, 2020 8:29 AM in response to Wes Dixon

Wes Dixon wrote:

As a lot of us (millions?) are having MAJOR ISSUES with 13.5., why doesn't Apple admit to anything? Their hubris is unsurpassed. Has ANYONE fixed any of these issues yet? I've spent hours online trying...

Maybe a hundred. If it was a million you would easily see 10,000 posts and headlines in every major tech publication, as well as a scathing article in Forbes, who will attack Apple on any opportunity, based on past experience with real problems.

But the real question is do you want to fix it, or just whine?

Oh, as you didn’t read the terms of use when you joined I will forgive you for addressing me as Apple. This is a user-to-user technical support forum, not Apple here, except as hosts for the site. I’m just another user.

Jul 4, 2020 6:19 PM in response to kaylen145

No, I absolutely REFUSE to fix it, whatever “it” is.

What troubleshooting have you done to fix the problem that is in your phone or router. Have you contacted Apple support?

if it was a problem in the version that has been installed in perhaps 500 million phones there would be tens of thousands of posts and headlines in news medial around the world.

Jul 11, 2020 5:22 AM in response to rlb1963

Same issue with me and i have checked multiple times my internet is working perfectly fine on all the devices except my iphone. It connects to wifi , internet works for 10-12 second then i see no internet for few seconds and then it connects back. Cycle goes on. Dont know what exactly the issue is but i am sure it is with iphone as on other devices it is working perfectly fine

Jul 11, 2020 5:33 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Okay letme tell you what i did to troubleshoot

1.) Checked internet service provider and had multiple calls to check my wifi and router. Works fine

2.) my laptop and other android devices are not facing this issue.

3.) Internet on my iphone works fine with cellular data(sim)

4.) issue is only with when i connect wifi

so it is a major issue from apple end with wifi connection and it started just few days back

Jul 11, 2020 6:14 AM in response to rishabh2807

If it was a major issue from Apple there would be thousands of posts about it. As you don’t see that it is a problem with your phone or your network.

simple test: if you go to another network does the phone have the same problem? If YES you need to troubleshoot your phone. If NO the problem is with your router. If you report the results of that test someone can help you with further troubleshooting.

Wifi issues after 13.5.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.