Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why So Many Spinning Balls & Hesitant Typing?

Even though it says Safari's not using a lot of RAM, with 40 GBs on my iMac, it's hanging out around the 6 or 7 GB level. And even in writing this, just after clearing the cache, & clearing memory my typing pauses, momentary spinning balls occur, and why??

I used another browser recently that would show RAM usage as high as 21GBs! Yet it never slowed & hesitated as Safari is right now! Why would Apple's own proprietary browser be one of the worst performing ones? I don't get this at all. And it's a royal pain in the butt to keep having to stop, and waiting until I can type the next word. What's up with that?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 7:25 PM

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2020 7:25 PM in response to Saxman

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Jun 20, 2020 10:00 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for your suggestions, just a few questions:

1. How would I know if I were using Oracle Java?
  2. What would be making my system load so heavy? It's not like I'm using any memory-intensive apps, like music, photos, video, etc.
  3. Safari does not handle Facebook well, it's zoomed up to as high as 3GBs just for one page, with no videos running!
  4. What is Bonjour? And what makes it busy, especially since I'm not consciously using it?

Thanks

Jun 20, 2020 6:44 PM in response to MrHoffman

1. Oh, I just remembered, when it wasn't on by default, on the Brave browser, a lot of the websites I go to wouldn't work. So I don't think that's a feasible solution, hardly any worked without Javascript enabled. I was surprised.
  2. You think Java is causing all that?
  3. Which would be eve more puzzling, since it's so used by everyone. But it is a huge memory hog, on any browser, I've just never seen it go above 2GBs before, and here it went up to 3GBs.
  4. Got it... thanks

Jun 20, 2020 9:15 PM in response to MrHoffman

1. I don't deal with any of the monetary features of Brave.

2. Java- if most websites won't function properly without Java, how does anyone not use it, if they want sites to work?

And is Oracle Java, the same thing as Javascript? If it is, and you don't use it, then how do you deal with so many sites not functioning?

1. "It" meaning Java, which is what I was talking about. Not Safari.

And why won't this window, list 3. and not let me continue unless I allow it to be 1. again? That's weird. As is why this Apple support site is often the most problematic of sites, each time I open a new tab here, it takes forever to load... odd, that Safari would be slower, and cause more problems than other browsers.

Jun 19, 2020 4:25 AM in response to Saxman

Fusion Drive is not my favorite storage, as the Mac spends resources shuffling data between a too-small fast SSD and a too-slow HDD. There’s not much free memory here, which means anything that spills out of memory is going to be hitting that HDD.

On a cursory look, I’d make a backup (using CCC or otherwise) and perform a test...

I’d remove the following: Malwarebytes anti-malware. That Memory Cleaner app. The NetShade VPN stuff. And Cocktail.

There’ve been reports of issues with some versions of Flux, and I’d either check for updates with that, or temporarily remove it.

Other comments:

I’m skeptical of fan control apps, save as a way to monitor or to increase fan speeds. Decreasing fan speeds should never be attempted.

Other issues: Silverlight is long deprecated, Shockwave was deprecated last year, and Oracle Java, unless you’re specifically using those. If you are using Oracle Java, have a look at the JDK licensing details as some configurations and some uses of that seemingly require payment to Oracle.

Time Machine snapshots are enabled.

Your system load is heavy.

Some browser tab is chewing up a lot of memory.

Bonjour is very busy. Unclear why.

Jun 20, 2020 10:35 AM in response to Saxman

1: remove Java and see what breaks.

2: That’s probably what is causing the beachballs. Which is what we’re working on. Activity Monitor might show that, CPU and I/O, or removing what was previously discussed.

3: Or in an alternative interpretation, Facebook web site doesn’t handle the Safari browser well.

4; Bonjour is a local network configuration tool; it’s how Macs and local storage and local printers can find each other.

Jun 20, 2020 8:24 PM in response to Saxman

1: Brave has not been without controversy. Here's one recent write-up on some purported and unexpected behavior of this browser, and there are others. Collecting money on behalf of folks without their permission was also reported a while back, and that was unpopular with various folks, as well. I had Brave installed here, but removed it a while back.

2: I doubt Java is causing this. That if you aren't using it, you would want to remove it, was the suggestion. Other issues: Silverlight is long deprecated, Shockwave was deprecated last year, and Oracle Java, unless you’re specifically using those. If you are using Oracle Java, have a look at the JDK licensing details as some configurations and some uses of that seemingly require payment to Oracle.

3: It? What's used by everyone? Safari? Different websites have different usage, and different folks visit different websites. Often with different extensions, too.

Jun 23, 2020 8:37 AM in response to MrHoffman

Is JavaScript different from Java? If it's not part of the MacOS, why is it on my machine, how did it get there?

When you mentioned Silverlight & Shockwave being "long deprecated, or deprecated last year" what do you mean by that?

In this context you are making it sound like it's been eliminated, replaced, or no longer used by any apps, as Flash player will be at the end of the year.

Jun 23, 2020 10:21 AM in response to Saxman

Quoting Wikipedia: Although there are similarities between JavaScript and Java, including language name, syntax, and respective standard libraries, the two languages are distinct and differ greatly in design.

Pragmatically, JavaScript and Java are quite different.

Most JavaScript implementations are now technically supporting the ECMAScript standard, but... adoption of that nomenclature has been slow.

Apple supports JavaScript (ECMAScript) on Apple products.

Oracle supports Oracle Java for Oracle operating systems, and also on selected other platforms.

Apple does not offer nor support Oracle Java.

Microsoft Silverlight and Adobe Shockwave were retired by their respective vendors, and Adobe Flash follows later this year.

Adobe Flash hasn’t been needed for YouTube and other streaming-content services in quite some time.

Very few websites—outside of a business and its own internal-use apps—uses client Java. I haven’t encountered a website with a generally-accessible Java client dependency in most of a decade. Java can be needed for some integrated development environments (IDEs), and for some business-specific apps. A Java client is not needed for general web browsing.

There will certainly still be some pockets of Silverlight, Shockwave, and Flash usage, but the rest of the world has moved on. Keeping the retired apps around and active can leave a user vulnerable if some exploit is found, too.

Or as was mentioned earlier... Remove Java. See what breaks.

Jun 25, 2020 7:13 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for all the info. and clarification. However, I cannot find Java, I assume it's not the JavaAppletPlugin, nor anything that says Oracle

I'll delete Shockwave but can't find Silverlight either, only the dmg file of it, not the app or plugin. And when I use the Etre-check report to "show Silverlight" it says it can't be found...

Is Adobe pdf reader OK, to leave installed?

Why So Many Spinning Balls & Hesitant Typing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.