You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When should I replace my airport extreme?

How do I know it is giving me the best experience over a newer wifi set up?

I have had it for many years and it still works.

I have a household with 4 pads, 4 Macs, 5 iPhones, 2 Apple TVs, 1 Roku, 2 streaming TV's all seem to work as long as the service does. (line of sight rural)

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 6:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 7:04 PM

1. When it no longer delivers the speed that your Internet provider is supplying to you.
  2. When there is a newer feature provided by another router system that you need that the AirPort Extreme cannot provide.
  3. When you are concerned that Apple has not provided any security updates for the product in over a year.
  4. When the AirPort Extreme stops working.

If you could provide the model number of your AirPort Extreme, we can tell you a bit more about it. If you have an older "flat" version, that looks like a small white pizza box with rounded corners, look on the bottom of the device for the model number. It is usually embedded in the foam pad base........starts with an "A" followed by 4 numbers. Post back with that info.

Or, if you have the version that looks like an 8 inch tall "tower", just tell us about how old the device might be.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 18, 2020 7:04 PM in response to KezBro

1. When it no longer delivers the speed that your Internet provider is supplying to you.
  2. When there is a newer feature provided by another router system that you need that the AirPort Extreme cannot provide.
  3. When you are concerned that Apple has not provided any security updates for the product in over a year.
  4. When the AirPort Extreme stops working.

If you could provide the model number of your AirPort Extreme, we can tell you a bit more about it. If you have an older "flat" version, that looks like a small white pizza box with rounded corners, look on the bottom of the device for the model number. It is usually embedded in the foam pad base........starts with an "A" followed by 4 numbers. Post back with that info.

Or, if you have the version that looks like an 8 inch tall "tower", just tell us about how old the device might be.

Jun 19, 2020 12:48 PM in response to KezBro

A1354 was known as a 4th Generation AirPort Extreme 801.11n, introduced in October 2009 and discontinued in June 2011, so your AirPort is at least 9 years old and as much as 10+ depending on when it was placed into service.

The average useful life of most routers designed or home use is about 5-6 years, so you have had remarkably good luck with your AirPort. Frankly, the AirPort is living on borrowed time at this point, but there is certainly no harm in continuing to use the product as long as it meets your current needs.

Interestingly, Apple classifies this model as "Obsolete" as far as support status is concerned, which means that they will not help you with the product, even if you are willing to pay them.

The last firmware/security update for this model was offered by Apple about a year ago. Whether or not Apple will continue to offer updates is open to question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.