Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac book Air hardware issue

I bought Mac book air a year back. Someone didn’t opened the box for a period of one year. And today when I opened it says that battery needs to be replaced and some other component related to key board also needs to be replaced. When I spoke to the customer care ( Shahad) executive he is not ready to support and says I need to pay the charges what so ever repair centre is asking for. I hope apple has the mechanism to check when the laptop has been switched on for the first time.

my question is buying such an expensive product, and by not opening it for a period of one year. We need to pay the same amount as to what we bought the laptop for.

is this fair on apple part. As a company you guys need to help the customer. Pls help.

attaching the picture for your reference

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 4:19 AM

Hello!

This is a user to user forum.

There is nothing Apple will do, apart from a paid repair. The MacBook Air is out of warranty.

The one year warranty applies from when the MacBook is bought, not when it is first turned on.

WHAT IS COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?

Apple Inc. of One Apple Park Way, Cupertino, California 95014, U.S.A. (“Apple”) warrants the Apple-branded hardware product and Apple-branded accessories contained in the original packaging (“Apple Product”) against defects in materials and workmanship when used normally in accordance with Apple's published guidelines for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase by the end-user purchaser ("Warranty Period"). 

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2020 4:19 AM in response to saurav64

Hello!

This is a user to user forum.

There is nothing Apple will do, apart from a paid repair. The MacBook Air is out of warranty.

The one year warranty applies from when the MacBook is bought, not when it is first turned on.

WHAT IS COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?

Apple Inc. of One Apple Park Way, Cupertino, California 95014, U.S.A. (“Apple”) warrants the Apple-branded hardware product and Apple-branded accessories contained in the original packaging (“Apple Product”) against defects in materials and workmanship when used normally in accordance with Apple's published guidelines for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase by the end-user purchaser ("Warranty Period"). 

Jun 19, 2020 8:42 AM in response to RachT1

But when I bought the last device, I was told that product warranty starts when it’s turned on or connected to WiFi for the first time.

this is actually a very tricky situation that if somehow you didn’t opened the box for a year’s time you have to pay double the amount to get it fixed.

this actually needs to reach CEO desk for better customer service and satisfaction.

need a resolution apart from spending more money on the same device.

Jun 19, 2020 10:20 AM in response to saurav64

Hello.

As I've explained in my previous response, this is a user-to-user forum. There are no Apple employees here.

Apple's warranty is one year from the date of purchase.

So, Apple will not help you, even if you were to contact the CEO to try to get the issues resolved.

If you were told that the warranty starts when the MacBook Air is turned on or connected to WiFi, that is wrong, but it probably won't help you get the issue resolved.

Mac book Air hardware issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.