Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 Macbook Air 13.3 Logic board Broken

Bought a new 2018 Macbook Air as a Christmas gift with 1 year limited warranty. A bit over a year, the laptop can't be turned on and was told it's the logic board issue. Apple wants to charge me $500 to replace the logic board because it's out of warranty(two month after warranty to be exact). How come the logic board gets broken in just over a year in the first place?

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 12:49 PM

It has a secret chip that counts days. When it reaches the end of the warranty period, it sends a special code at a random time to activate the logic board breaker mechanism. It's your logic board; who do you think broke it?

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 24, 2020 4:02 PM in response to Kappy

If this is true, the implication is that an unidentified number of customers are on the hook for fixing the logic board out of their own pocket if they don’t purchase extra Apple care warranty in the time of buying. I am questioning the motive behind the chip sends out the breaker mechanism by default after the warranty ends.

Jun 25, 2020 8:00 PM in response to Jakon Lee

I doubt the court will agree with you, but you're entitled to your opinion. You might pose the problem to your attorney, if you can afford to pay for the information. Or, you could realize that your opinion is wrong, and you haven't got a case. Someone may need to educate you about warranties and the laws covering them.

You can sue in small claims court by paying an initial fee of around $25-50 or you can arrange for an arbitration which is much cheaper than court. However, if the arbitrator does not find in your favor, then you cannot appeal. While you are pondering your alternatives, take a trip to the local library and read up on your state's warranty statutes as well as your Consumer Protection Act.

2018 Macbook Air 13.3 Logic board Broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.