Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Certain common sites no longer load on Safari

Certain sites no longer load on Safari. The sites are common ones, such as washingtonpost.com, that load well in Firefox and Chrome. I get the early part of a loaded page, usually about two thirds of a single screen. The graphics are mostly missing and no links work. I usually have to force quit Safari, and I can't make changes to its preferences. Rebooting doesn't help.

This has been going on for at least a month.

I'm on Catalina 10.15.5, and Safari is 13.1.1. I have a MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018).

I saw this solution to a similar problem two months ago, but it purports to be for High Sierra only: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251213636?login=true

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 10:49 AM

Safari can’t open a website.    

Safari – slow page loads.       

Safari - Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues.   

Safari doesn't load a page or webpage items are missing.    

Web Content not responding

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

If it is the same in another user account, do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart). Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery.    

OS X Recovery.    

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2020 10:49 AM in response to East Coker

Safari can’t open a website.    

Safari – slow page loads.       

Safari - Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues.   

Safari doesn't load a page or webpage items are missing.    

Web Content not responding

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account    

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

If it is the same in another user account, do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart). Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery.    

OS X Recovery.    

Jun 19, 2020 8:22 AM in response to East Coker

I have had the same issue, feels like for a few weeks now. Wash Post is the most easily replicable for me. Cariuma shoes is another. I also find I cannot access Safari preferences, I just get a pinwheel.

The problem does not resolve when I restart the browser, but it does temporarily resolve when I restart the machine. But, it usually returns within a day. (That, of course, means that any time I try a solution that includes a restart I am not immediately able to tell if it's working because of the solution or the restart.)

I've called tech support this week, here are the things they've tried that have failed so far:

--Clearing history

--Clearing caches

--Resetting SMC

--Creating a temp administrator account and trying Safari there (same issue present)

--Deactivating all Safari extensions

--Reinstalling MacOS (not a clean install, but the reinstall from system recovery)

I'm running Safari 13.1.1 on a 2020 Macbook Air, running Catalina 10.15.5

Jun 24, 2020 10:15 AM in response to East Coker

I have the same issue, but with Amazon Prime and ebay as well, and other sites. I also have many instances where the page loads fully, but when I click on any part of any page, nothing loads. my temps also rises on my iMac, and multiple cores seem to be loading up. activity monitor spike to up to 97 percent cpu used as well. It has ONLY started since upgrading to Catalina. I keep all updates going on this iMac. I have run Etre Check Pro, and at times it shows as an issue, other times not. I have booted into safe mode as well. I go into my other iMac running Mojave, and also onto my MacBookPro, running Mojave as well. NO ISSUES. This is a Catalina Safari issue.

Jun 24, 2020 11:34 AM in response to East Coker

I'd posted above about the VPN resolving the problem, but that must have just been a coincidence, because I could not replicate.

I've since done a clean install, then reinstalled software. A day later the issue returned. Now done another clean install, will not reinstall any software, and will see if the problem returns.

Out of curiosity, what network hardware are people using? I have a Netgear Orbi system.

Jun 26, 2020 5:58 AM in response to abeagler

I use ethernet, 250 Mb per second, all iMacs are ethernet ported throughout 4 rooms. My WiFi in home is fine as well, faster than Sprint LTE in my area. I use my Spectrum Router ported Via Ethernet to rear of home to my AirPort Extreme, and it works fine. I'm guessing some of the issue may be high web traffic on some sites, but the issue is only on Catalina, not on my other Os's, and not on my Cyberpower Gaming PC Running Windows.

Jun 30, 2020 3:46 PM in response to John Travitzky

Okay, so it doesn't sound like some esoteric hardware issue. And the sites on which I run into it are not all high-traffic sites: the Wash Post is the most common one, but also a shoe vendor website (Cariuma) and an English-language German news site (thelocal dot de).

In another forum I saw someone mention having 1Password installed, which I also have. Anyone else using that? I don't think it's a factor, though, since I saw the problem return after a clean install where I didn't re-install any software.

Certain common sites no longer load on Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.