Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Search not working and Spotlight not finding mails

Hello. On Catalina, both Mail and Spotlight have stopped being able to search for mails. In Mail, it looks like it is searching yet it throws nothing up, no matter what I search for and Spotlight is the same. I have tried re-indexing Spotlight by moving the ~/Library/Mail/ folder in and out of the privacy section of the Spotlight section of Preferences. I have also tried rebuilding the mailboxes from within the Mail app and tried repopulating ~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData with no success. If anyone has any ideas of how to get these mail searches working again I would be most appreciative.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 1:27 PM

After waiting a few days it suddenly started working again. I put this down to following the advice given here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7144486?answerId=28624265022#28624265022

Thanks to Linc Davis for this post. If anyone else has this problem just follow the advice given the link and give it time. I will spend tomorrow working backward to understand how these searches work and will happily explain what I find.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2020 1:27 PM in response to Junglesim

After waiting a few days it suddenly started working again. I put this down to following the advice given here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7144486?answerId=28624265022#28624265022

Thanks to Linc Davis for this post. If anyone else has this problem just follow the advice given the link and give it time. I will spend tomorrow working backward to understand how these searches work and will happily explain what I find.

Mail Search not working and Spotlight not finding mails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.