Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

notes app

Just updated to new MBP and macOS Catalina. I use the Notes app quite a bit, and am now having an unusual issue. When I select some text, that includes anything web searchable (ie. like a name or stock ticker) I immediately get a yellow dialogue box popping up with web search results, or one saying there were no results. This happens so quickly, that it interferes with copying, dragging, or anything else with the selected text. I have never seen this before, and I am not aware of having set anything up to do this. I'm thinking it's maybe a Catalina issue... any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 8:17 PM

Figured out... finally!! After many web searches, using every search description I could think of, I finally hit on one that took me to the problem and solution! I had migrated everything from my old MBP to my new one, which I thought included migrating all my system settings as well. However, my new one had checked the box in Preferences/Trackpad for Lookup and Data Detectors, and no it was not checked on my old machine! So basically, whenever I clicked on something it opened up pop-ups with search results. The clue was it opened one that said dictionary, and I finally tracked it down. Apple, if you're reading this: please never ever initiate a setting or new feature unannounced or without a user choice.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2020 8:17 PM in response to bendboy

Figured out... finally!! After many web searches, using every search description I could think of, I finally hit on one that took me to the problem and solution! I had migrated everything from my old MBP to my new one, which I thought included migrating all my system settings as well. However, my new one had checked the box in Preferences/Trackpad for Lookup and Data Detectors, and no it was not checked on my old machine! So basically, whenever I clicked on something it opened up pop-ups with search results. The clue was it opened one that said dictionary, and I finally tracked it down. Apple, if you're reading this: please never ever initiate a setting or new feature unannounced or without a user choice.

notes app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.