Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Producer/authoring books

Help! I hv submitted my ePub file (a graphic novel, fixed format) but got a cryptic Error Message:

ERROR ITMS-90228: "Images larger than 4,000,000 pixels are not allowed in books. The following images are too large: /OEBPS/image/13.png

" at Book/BookAssets

I can't identify the image as there isn't any by the name "OEBPS/image/13.png" nor did I upload any .png file. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 2:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 8:33 PM

Hi joafufl

Thank you for your solution.

I had tried steps 1,2 & 3 but got a .cpgz file which when unzipped with Stuffit Expander, reverts back to a .zip. 

So after more googling I solved my problem by doing the following steps:

(My ePub was created using Indesign with images done in Photoshop and Illustrator, then placed in InDesign).

1.  Installed free “Unarchive” app as recommended. Unpacked the ePub file to try identify the problem file. Found it in the OEBPS/image folder, named “12.png”. Have no idea what it is, unlike the other images which have their original names still intact.

2. Opened “12.png” in Photoshop (visible as white rectangle, dimensions 2676 x 3704 [9.9m pixels!], resolution 300 dpi) and reduced its dimensions by 50% and resolution to 96dpi. (All other images are shown to be 150 dpi). Saved it as PNG. 

I also noticed that all my images (originally created in Illustrator and Photoshop, then placed in Indesign) had been converted into PNGs by InDesign.  

3. Another submission with same error reply from Apple.

4. Reviewed in my mind the posted comments and recalled someone mentioning that InDesign creates huge PNGs from empty text blocks. Also images with transparent property are converted to PNG which supports transparency. 

I had none of those.

However, I had created a full page grey background by filling a rectangle in black and using a slider to reduce it to 85% opacity. This was in the Master Page as background for all the pages.

I suspected this 85% tint is considered transparency in Indesign and was converted into a PNG. 

5. So I created a proper PNG in Photoshop to replace the grey rectangle. I named it “Grey Bgr.png” so I could identify it later.

6. Exported a new epub from InDesign and resubmitted.

7. Came back with another Error ITMS-9228. But I can see that “Grey Bgr.png” got through.

8. I realise I also have another full page rectangle filled “white” (called “paper” in InDesign) and decided to create a PNG following Step 5 above.

9. Replaced it in the InDesign file, exported epub, resubmitted and passed the last hurdle.

For me the biggest takeaway: Don’t create any big rectangle in InDesign. Do it in another software, save as PNG and import. I guess rectangles drawn natively in InDesign are rendered as 300 dpi PNGs with huge dimensions in epub. Hope Adobe can fix this.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2020 8:33 PM in response to joabufl

Hi joafufl

Thank you for your solution.

I had tried steps 1,2 & 3 but got a .cpgz file which when unzipped with Stuffit Expander, reverts back to a .zip. 

So after more googling I solved my problem by doing the following steps:

(My ePub was created using Indesign with images done in Photoshop and Illustrator, then placed in InDesign).

1.  Installed free “Unarchive” app as recommended. Unpacked the ePub file to try identify the problem file. Found it in the OEBPS/image folder, named “12.png”. Have no idea what it is, unlike the other images which have their original names still intact.

2. Opened “12.png” in Photoshop (visible as white rectangle, dimensions 2676 x 3704 [9.9m pixels!], resolution 300 dpi) and reduced its dimensions by 50% and resolution to 96dpi. (All other images are shown to be 150 dpi). Saved it as PNG. 

I also noticed that all my images (originally created in Illustrator and Photoshop, then placed in Indesign) had been converted into PNGs by InDesign.  

3. Another submission with same error reply from Apple.

4. Reviewed in my mind the posted comments and recalled someone mentioning that InDesign creates huge PNGs from empty text blocks. Also images with transparent property are converted to PNG which supports transparency. 

I had none of those.

However, I had created a full page grey background by filling a rectangle in black and using a slider to reduce it to 85% opacity. This was in the Master Page as background for all the pages.

I suspected this 85% tint is considered transparency in Indesign and was converted into a PNG. 

5. So I created a proper PNG in Photoshop to replace the grey rectangle. I named it “Grey Bgr.png” so I could identify it later.

6. Exported a new epub from InDesign and resubmitted.

7. Came back with another Error ITMS-9228. But I can see that “Grey Bgr.png” got through.

8. I realise I also have another full page rectangle filled “white” (called “paper” in InDesign) and decided to create a PNG following Step 5 above.

9. Replaced it in the InDesign file, exported epub, resubmitted and passed the last hurdle.

For me the biggest takeaway: Don’t create any big rectangle in InDesign. Do it in another software, save as PNG and import. I guess rectangles drawn natively in InDesign are rendered as 300 dpi PNGs with huge dimensions in epub. Hope Adobe can fix this.

Jul 3, 2020 10:56 AM in response to choonhtan

Hey! Don't know if you have already solved it, but if not, I'll tell you what worked for me, read it in another forum and solved. I'll copy and paste the solution from "e.borri"

1) duplicate your eBook

2) change the extension to "zip"

3) decompress the file using StuffIt expander (from Mac OS you may get a "recompressed" file ending as ".zip.zip")

4) browse the folder created when decompressing and browse to find the "image" folder

5) check for all the images larger then the limit of 4,000,000 bytes

6) Probably some images larger than the limit are in PNG file format (PNG does not use the compression to reduce the file size). In this case, if the original image does not have transparency, the frame containing the image is larger than the image. Reduce the frame containing the image to the image size or press "cmd-alt-c" to "fit the frame to content" and then crop the image if needed.

7) If there is some jpeg images larger than the limit of 4.000.000 bytes try editing in Photoshop to lower the resolution; alternatively try blurring a little some less important areas if there's some part of the image less important than other. If the trick of blurring does not work, choose a higher compression level or a lower resolution while exporting.

Hope it works for you.

iTunes Producer/authoring books

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.