Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Issue

Hi Apple Community,

My iPhone 7 was working really well until about 3 weeks ago, when I started noticing a few issues. To make or receive calls, use Siri, and take photos (main camera - taking photos with snapchat still work), I now need to restart my device each time. After doing so, it will work for 30-60 minutes before the same issues resurface. I first used Apple's online support and did a factory reset/restore from backup, but that didn't solve the issue. We then ran a diagnostic test, and I was told there were no hardware issues either. It was suggested that I make a Genius Bar appointment, which I did. Once there, we did another factory reset and restore using a Macbook running Catalina, as well as used a backup that was saved from before the issues arose. I also did another factory reset without restoring any backup, but the same issues keep appearing.

Ultimately we weren't able to fix my phone and it was recommended that I trade it in for a new one. However, I really love my iPhone 7 and minus the issues above, it is in great working condition (all other functions including internet and messaging apps work seamlessly), the battery was recently replaced, and it has no cosmetic defects on any kind. Before I give up, I wanted to canvas the community and find out whether there are any other options I have to save this phone. Is there any chance that waiting for the next software update would have an affect? Any other options?

Thanks!

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 1:45 PM

Firstly if the battery was replaced by a third party or high street repair shop, the phone is unsupportable.

Secondly if you did a genuine complete wipe as in the link below, set it up as a new phone with just your appleID, without icloud or siri, and it still misbehaves then in my book it is hardware failure. In that case I agree, replace it.

There are a few genuinely new iphone 7 and 8 available at some resellers (be careful!) but the new SE is an iphone 7 with twice the power.

full reset

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

PS my iphones 6S and 7 both run great on 13.5.1

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2020 1:45 PM in response to Couldreallyuseyourhelp

Firstly if the battery was replaced by a third party or high street repair shop, the phone is unsupportable.

Secondly if you did a genuine complete wipe as in the link below, set it up as a new phone with just your appleID, without icloud or siri, and it still misbehaves then in my book it is hardware failure. In that case I agree, replace it.

There are a few genuinely new iphone 7 and 8 available at some resellers (be careful!) but the new SE is an iphone 7 with twice the power.

full reset

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

PS my iphones 6S and 7 both run great on 13.5.1

Jun 20, 2020 2:01 PM in response to LD150

Thanks, Peter. I did the battery replacement and at Apple and also did the setup without icloud or siri, but no luck. Was certainly hoping to hear there was a way to salvage it, but I'm glad you were able to confirm that I haven't missed any troubleshooting steps. Guess it's back to the old 6S in the meantime until I pull the trigger on an SE as replacement.

Software Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.