Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using the mac with an external display

I have an external display which I use regularly and an external keyboard/mouse combo that i've paired to my mac. I don't always need to use the display as an extended desktop. There doesn't seem to be an option to close the lid and work using only the external display, unless the charger is connected to the macbook. This means that I have to have the charger connected at all times. I understand that this is a practice discouraged by Apple as it can impact the battery life of the macbook. The only other option seem to be to keep the displays mirrored, and then to turn the brightness of the retina display to zero which switches off the display. But if i close the lid, the system goes into sleep mode. This is counterproductive. Is there a way around this?

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 7:13 AM

Leaving the computer plugged in does not negatively impact the battery nor the computer. The correct and only way to use "clamshell" mode is to leave the computer plugged in.

Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 21, 2020 7:09 AM in response to deepspeed

I have been using this setup for more than a decade and over several MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros. One external monitor connected with the lid closed. MacBook on a charger all the time. At times I would use the MacBook in its portable state without the charger and disconnected from the external display. I have had no issues with the battery or anything else. To this day, I continue to use the same setup and working habits.

My recommendation is that you close the lid, use the external display, and, enjoy your computer.

Axel F.

Using the mac with an external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.