Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop windows from sliding to the left side of the screen in OS 10.15.5?

How do I stop windows from sliding to the left side of the screen in OS 10.15.5?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 9:13 AM

pixldoc wrote:

You will have to paint a bigger picture ....

posting a screen shot may help also in an effort to understand what you are trying to resolve here.

Have you rebooted?

All apps all the time?

A single app in use or multiple apps?

Split screen? Use two Mac apps side by side in Split View - Apple Support

Old problem, new problem, what precipitated the change in behavior?

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2020 9:13 AM in response to pixldoc

pixldoc wrote:

You will have to paint a bigger picture ....

posting a screen shot may help also in an effort to understand what you are trying to resolve here.

Have you rebooted?

All apps all the time?

A single app in use or multiple apps?

Split screen? Use two Mac apps side by side in Split View - Apple Support

Old problem, new problem, what precipitated the change in behavior?

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and test. Reboot and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Jun 21, 2020 9:16 AM in response to leroydouglas

I shut down every night and restart in the morning, then restart sometimes during the day. It keeps happening all the time with all apps. I also log in and log out frequently during the day. Not using split screen. It still occurs. I'm the only user. Have not tried to login as a guest but will give that a try, and also try your other suggestions. Thank you.

Jun 21, 2020 9:21 AM in response to leroydouglas

I'm not sure what started the problem, though I did recently upgrade to OS 10.15.5, and the sliding windows is the only odd thing that has been happening since I upgraded. I could have also slid my fingers over the trackpad by accident and caused something to occur. Or using the mouse supplied with laptop, which I recently started using again, since the mouse I did have died, so I went back to the Mac Mouse.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.