Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Movie doesn't appear on my Smart TV

I have completed a home movie. I have saved it to Home Movies on my TV App, in Home Movies in my Movies folder and in Home Hovies in my iTunes media folder. So, viewing it on my mac is no problem. But it doesn't appear on my Smart TV. I access 'Computers' on my Apple TV box, then go to Home Hovies. But there is no sign of it, on Home Movies, or anywhere else. I have the same problem with my iPad. I'm obviously missing a step or something here, but cannot figure what it is. Can anyone help as it's driving me crazy?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 6:42 AM

For Home Sharing, it doesn’t matter much where you save the home movie, as long as it gets added to the Library. You may add to the library through the menu, or using drag-and-drop to any Library window. The Library is the database that holds details and locations of the media files. You certainly don’t have to save it three times. Media files without Media Kind tag, when added to the Library, will be treated as ‘home video’, and should appear as such in the Home Videos section of the TV app. Then that is what is shared when using Home Sharing from other devices.

Home Sharing seems to want H.264 AVC files. H.265 HEVC files may not be shareable and may be incompatible, even if you can add such files to the Library. Verify the format.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2020 6:42 AM in response to Oldbutkeen

For Home Sharing, it doesn’t matter much where you save the home movie, as long as it gets added to the Library. You may add to the library through the menu, or using drag-and-drop to any Library window. The Library is the database that holds details and locations of the media files. You certainly don’t have to save it three times. Media files without Media Kind tag, when added to the Library, will be treated as ‘home video’, and should appear as such in the Home Videos section of the TV app. Then that is what is shared when using Home Sharing from other devices.

Home Sharing seems to want H.264 AVC files. H.265 HEVC files may not be shareable and may be incompatible, even if you can add such files to the Library. Verify the format.

Home Movie doesn't appear on my Smart TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.