Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kensington Orbit Trackball won't wake from sleep after High Sierra upgrade

I recently (and reluctantly) upgraded to High Sierra on my older iMac. Among other issues, there's been a development with my Kensington Orbit Trackball.

About 75% of the time, when I wake my iMac from sleep (which I CAN do with the trackball button), the cursor is not visible and doesn't appear or move when I use the trackball, nor do any subsequent clicks register until I unplug and replug the trackball USB connector. Then it instantly works fine.

Unplugging and replugging a USB isn't a huge inconvenience, but since it occurred immediately after upgrading to High Sierra, it seems it's worth a try asking the community.

• Tried unchecking "put hard drive to sleep when possible" - No change
  • Tried never putting computer to sleep, only display sleep - problem persisted
  • Tried full restart - problem persists, still about 75% of the time
  • Tired resetting PRAM - no change
  • Tried using a different USB port - no change
  • Tried using a keyboard USB port - no change
  • Tried trackball on a Windows laptop - worked fine, no issues with sleep or restart
  • Tried downloading latest Kensingtonworks software - no change, no relevant driver support
  • Tried calling Kensington tech support - Exhausted their troubleshooting steps, and they claim there are no product drivers anymore, it's "plug and play." They instructed me to take it up with Apple as a High Sierra issue. Basically, they passed the buck, rather rudely too.
  • Tried uninstalling Kensingtonworks software - no change

I'm using a mid-2011 iMac running OS 10.13.6.

Steps to recreate:

Option #1

1) Put computer to sleep

2) Wait a few hours (8-12 seems to increase likelihood))

3) Press trackball button to wake iMac - iMac wakes

4) 75% of the time, Cursor is not visible and does not move when trackball is used, clicks are ineffectual

5) unplug trackball usb from iMac

6) replug trackball USB to iMac - cursor moves, Trackball works again

Option #2

1) Let iMac energy saver setting send computer to sleep

2) Wait a few hours (8-12 seems to increase likelihood)

4) 75% of the time, Cursor is not visible and does not move when trackball is used, clicks are ineffectual

Option #3

1) Disable iMac energy saver computer sleep, let display sleep only

2) Wait a few hours (8-12 seems to increase likelihood)

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Anyone know of a fix? Other than "buy an Apple mouse," it was Apple mouse unreliability that led me to a Trackball in the first place.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 2:29 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Jun 22, 2020 4:28 PM in response to chiefjoseph74

Good detective wotk so far! :)

You can save us asking dozens of questions by submitting a report...

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Kensington Orbit Trackball won't wake from sleep after High Sierra upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.