Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'No Service' iPhone 7

After +3 years of using my iPhone 7, I suddenly got the 'No Service' problem despite my SIM card being inside. My iPhone's model (A1660) is eligible for the Repair Program. So I took it to a licensed Apple service provider and they initially told me that my iPhone is eligible, however, they just had to check that my phone's symptoms fall within the repair program.

To get detailed, the repair program includes phones that had 'Error' written next to 'Cellular' in the settings. Mine did not for some reason. The technician tried updating the phone to the latest software version and had to restore it in order to do that (not enough storage). So, when booting up again, at the famous 'Hello' screen, 'No Service' is still in the top left and after having connected to a Wi-Fi network, the next screen shows 'Unable to Activate'. Under, 'An update is required to activate your iPhone' and finally at the bottom a blue button with 'Shutdown'.

So, I'm now in a situation where I believe my phone is eligible for the repair program but I missed out on a technicality since my phone happened to not display 'Error' even though the problem was essentially the same. And now, my phone is stuck in a loop where it needs to activate in order to update and update in order to activate. If anyone was ever in this same situation or would be able to help me out in some way I would really appreciate it. For now, the phone is useless and bound to be scrapped.

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 7:54 PM

Update: So being stuck on 'Unable to Activate', I decided to put my iPhone in recovery mode. On my Mac, I clicked on 'Update' in the prompt. I waited for it to finish and went through the boot process and to my joyful surprise, I could proceed. I sped through most of the setup and I was able to access my phone again and restored it. I'm not sure if I am very lucky, or if the update nudged the software in the right direction but either way, it seems it is working for now. I hope this helps anyone who is struggling with this problem as I haven't found anything else about dealing with the 'Unable to Activate' screen.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2020 7:54 PM in response to Sami_F

Update: So being stuck on 'Unable to Activate', I decided to put my iPhone in recovery mode. On my Mac, I clicked on 'Update' in the prompt. I waited for it to finish and went through the boot process and to my joyful surprise, I could proceed. I sped through most of the setup and I was able to access my phone again and restored it. I'm not sure if I am very lucky, or if the update nudged the software in the right direction but either way, it seems it is working for now. I hope this helps anyone who is struggling with this problem as I haven't found anything else about dealing with the 'Unable to Activate' screen.

'No Service' iPhone 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.