Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use an Apple Watch if iPhone has no cellular plan

I would like to get my young son an Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular, to use as both a GPS tracker and way to communicate with him. I prefer this to options such as Verizon's GizmoWatch 2, since the Apple Watch will connect via WiFi when he is close to the house (I have outdoor AP's) and also because it will work with the Apple eco-system that my wife and I have (iPhones and Apple Watches).

I fully understand that the Apple Watch will require me to have a dedicated iPhone for him. I am NOT ok with him using the iPhone, but I can easily find a used iPhone 7 locally for $100 which will serve as the device used to pair this Apple Watch.

The question I have is what service will I require for this? I have Verizon "Unlimited" plans for my wife and I, and adding cellular plan to an Apple Watch costs $10. I am wondering is it possible for me to setup a new line of service for an iPhone and also for the Apple Watch, and then cancel the iPhone service? This way I won't be paying for cellular service on an iPhone that I am not using once the Apple Watch is setup. I would keep the iPhone plugged in at home and it would be setup with a new Apple ID dedicated to my son.

Has anybody tried this?

Apple Watch

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 6:27 PM

You will have to pay for an iPhone cellular plan and then tack on $10 per month for the Apple Watch to share that iPhone's phone number. If you cancel the iPhone plan, then you will have cancelled that phone number.

You will have to keep the iPhone powered up, because things like SMS/MMS texting still require the iPhone, as the LTE data chip does not support SMD/MMS texting.

You also want that iPhone powered on so that while your son is at home, the Apple Watch will use Low Energy Bluetooth to communicate with the iPhone, and get the iPhone to use its better battery (or in your case charger) to do most of the more power hunger radio services. The Apple Watch does not have a very big battery, and the Apple Watch does everything it can to conserve that batteries power.

You could also have various events and alarms set on the iPhone (that you are controlling) which will then appear on your son's Apple Watch.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2020 6:27 PM in response to ZestyBrewer

You will have to pay for an iPhone cellular plan and then tack on $10 per month for the Apple Watch to share that iPhone's phone number. If you cancel the iPhone plan, then you will have cancelled that phone number.

You will have to keep the iPhone powered up, because things like SMS/MMS texting still require the iPhone, as the LTE data chip does not support SMD/MMS texting.

You also want that iPhone powered on so that while your son is at home, the Apple Watch will use Low Energy Bluetooth to communicate with the iPhone, and get the iPhone to use its better battery (or in your case charger) to do most of the more power hunger radio services. The Apple Watch does not have a very big battery, and the Apple Watch does everything it can to conserve that batteries power.

You could also have various events and alarms set on the iPhone (that you are controlling) which will then appear on your son's Apple Watch.

Is it possible to use an Apple Watch if iPhone has no cellular plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.