Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4th gen routing optical to Apple TV 3

Hi Folks,

I upgraded to the 4th gen Apple Tv. Given this does not have a optical out and my DAC doesnt have HDMI, i kept the Apple Tv 3.

I use the Apple TV 3's optical out.

In my Apple Tv 4 audio settings i choose Apple Tv 3 and using airplay I route the sound to the Apple Tv 3 which uses optical to my DAC. So it looks like this Apple Tv 4 -> Audio Out -> Apple Tv 3 -> Optical Out -> Receiver -> Speakers.

This set up works great with 1 glitch. Every time the Apple Tv 4 goes to sleep and then wakes up it changes the audio out setting to Apple Tv 4(hdmi) from Apple Tv 3 (airplay). Is there anyway i can persist this setting ?

The only options i see I have is:

1. Dont let the Apple TV 4 sleep
  2. Buy a HDMI extractor

Is there anything else i can do ? It would be great for Apple to give us the option to choose and persist audio settings.

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 8:24 AM

Possibly you already looked into this, but I’ll mention it as an option if your setup allows for it.

Apple TV → TV → receiver will works as well, where your TV will do the passthrough of audio.

The TV → receiver connection can be optical, if both these devices support that.

If that doesn’t fit your setup, then I would advise the HDMI Audio Extractor as a relatively cheap alternative. And a modern AV receiver as the better/best solution.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2020 8:24 AM in response to sidatta

Possibly you already looked into this, but I’ll mention it as an option if your setup allows for it.

Apple TV → TV → receiver will works as well, where your TV will do the passthrough of audio.

The TV → receiver connection can be optical, if both these devices support that.

If that doesn’t fit your setup, then I would advise the HDMI Audio Extractor as a relatively cheap alternative. And a modern AV receiver as the better/best solution.

Apple TV 4th gen routing optical to Apple TV 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.