Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound when using Airplay 2 with Apple TV on Sony XBR 950G

I have tried streaming Apple TV from both my iMac and iPhone using Airplay 2 to my Sony XBR 950G smart TV. I am getting video in both cases, but no sound.

I was able to get both video and sound before the latest Sony firmware upgrade (and perhaps the switch over to Airplay 2 from Airplay)... but that was a while ago... I only watched one movie from Apple TV prior, and that was some months ago, but without a hitch. Now I get video, but no sound, whether I try using my iPhone or iMac as the Apple TV source. (To be clear, I am talking about the Apple TV app, not hardware). I can control the volume control (slider) on the TV using either Apple device, just no sound is audible. Also, if I stream via Airplay 2 from either Apple Music or Apple TV to the Onkyo receiver that is part of the home theater system, I do get sound. But in the latter case, there is no video on the TV (of course) just the icon for whatever program or movie I am trying to stream.

I think this is a Sony issue, but was curious if anyone has any thoughts.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 7:21 AM

Yes I would check the TV settings, feel free to post the settings here (post a screenshot if you can).

Also you could try unplugging the sound bar and see if you have sound with Airplay coming out of the TV integrated speakers.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 27, 2020 7:10 AM in response to anonyme4321

Thanks for the thought. The TV is set to pass the sound through to the Onkyo receiver. It works in all other applications, including the "satellite" TV, Amazon Prime, etc. I do think a call to Sony is in order though. Thing is that the sound pass through to the Onkyo is via an HDMI arc(e) cable (which can pass signals in both directions). So for example, Amazon Prime is an app on the TV (the TV does not have the Apple TV app, alas), and the TV passes the sound on to the receiver in this case. However, when using Airplay 2, the input on the TV defaults to "Airplay" not the HDMI arc input (makes sense, as Airplay is the input), but somehow the sound is not getting passed through the HDMI from the TV to the receiver. Again, time to call Sony, I think.

I agree, it is probably that some simple setting needs to be tweaked because of Airplay 2.... although I've changed no settings from when it worked before. Thanks for the thought.

No sound when using Airplay 2 with Apple TV on Sony XBR 950G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.