Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound when using Airplay 2 with Apple TV on Sony XBR 950G

I have tried streaming Apple TV from both my iMac and iPhone using Airplay 2 to my Sony XBR 950G smart TV. I am getting video in both cases, but now sound.

I was able to get both video and sound before the latest Sony firmware upgrade (and perhaps the switch over to Airplay 2 from Airplay)... but that was a while ago... I only watched one movie from Apple TV prior, and that was some months ago, but without a hitch. Now I get video, but now sound, whether I try using my iPhone or iMac as the Apple TV source.

Any thoughts?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 6:39 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 27, 2020 6:46 AM in response to QuickPost

That should have been "no sound", not "now sound" in my original post.

To be clear, I am not using the Apple TV hardware. I am using the Apple TV app on either my desktop iMac or iPhone (the newest version iPhone). In either case, the video appears on the Sony TV, but no sound. I can control the volume control on the TV via the iMac or iPhone, but no sound is audible (and no, the mute button is not on). I can pass through audio to the Onkyo receiver that is part of the home theater system (connected to the Sony TV) using Airplay either in Apple Music or Apple TV (in the latter case though, just a small still image appears on the TV, the icon of the film or program, no video, but there is indeed sound).

I think this is a Sony issue, because it seemed to work fine before the Sony firmware upgrade (again, last time I tried was some months ago). Just wanted to know if anyone else had the issue and a fix.

No sound when using Airplay 2 with Apple TV on Sony XBR 950G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.