Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi connection but no ethernet

iMac with High Sierra. I've tried everything under the sun to get the ethernet connection again. Restart computer, restart modem, etc. Finally I chatted with a Comcast tech guy for an hour. He ran diagnostics, reset the modem, and more. He finally concluded that the problem might be the ethernet cable. I replaced it. (I ordered an ethernet-USB adapter, but I'm not optimistic.) Still no connection. I've never had this problem during the nine years I've had this iMac, until several days ago. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 9:30 AM

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2020 9:30 AM in response to budk11

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Jul 2, 2020 7:14 PM in response to budk11

They always leave stuff behind.

EtreCheck is a simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Jul 2, 2020 2:34 PM in response to BDAqua

Update. Comcast tech visited twice. He tried several things (new modem, new cables, etc.) and concluded that the problem lies with my Mac ethernet port. I tried plugging the ethernet cable into a USB-ethernet adapter (recently purchased) to bypass the Mac's ethernet port. It didn't work. He said he's never seen the error message I keep getting about a self-assigned IP address preventing connecting.

Jul 6, 2020 6:07 PM in response to budk11

I'm having the same issue as Bud. My Ethernet isn't working. Worked fine for two years, and then a week ago, it stopped working. I bought a replacement Apple and I continue to get an error message saying, Connected. Ethernet Adaptor (en3) has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet.. I tried the suggested fix, but it's still not working. I'm running Norton. Any ideas why my Ethernet isn't working. Thank you. I appreciate any help!

Jul 7, 2020 4:38 AM in response to budk11

My MacBook Air is two (maybe three?) years old so I don't think there is a hardware issue, although it's possible I'm wrong. This is the problem I'm having with it other than after updating to the new iOS, it crashes every so often but that hasn't happened in about two months or so. I rebooted the computer with the ethernet attached to it and left it on automatic settings and it reset it. Fingers crossed that works. Good luck with yours!! Would you mind posting an update and I'll do the same in a few days?

Wi-Fi connection but no ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.