Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2015 Macbook Air shuts down with 75% battery power remaining?

This has been a problem for the last 3 months. First time I noticed was when I was running on battery power and suddenly the computer shut down with Battery status around 45%. After plugging back in and charging to full I noticed (for the first time) that even though battery showed 100% the battery icon still shows charging and never shows the fully charged icon. Says: "Service Recommended”. Now computer running on battery will automatically shut down around 80%(!).

Charge Information: Cycle Count: 248 / Charge Remaining: 4088 / Fully Charged: Yes / Charging: No / Full Charge Capacity: 4209 /

I've also run the Coconut Battery program and it states Device Age: 39 months / Health: 59% / Cycles: 248

I've tried re-setting SMC (a few times). I've tried re-calibrating the battery also with no success.

I've run Apple Diagnostics a few times over this period as well and says everytime: NO issues found. Ref Code: ADP000. ----- In other words.... No battery issues which would have been codes: PPT004, PPT006, PPT007. Very weird imo.

Does my Macbook Air actually need a new battery or is there some other problem that I have not yet figured out? Cost of battery here in Canada is $169 here on Apple's site, but authorized dealers have quoted me from $269 to $320 to do it. That's why I'm hesitant. Apple stores themselves have not yet re-opened from COVID-19 shutdowns.

Any help or new suggestions for testing would be appreciated.

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 1:28 PM

The battery reports says battery needs service. You need to have the machine checked out and, perhaps, have the battery replaced.

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service after the stores re-open. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD). You may also get Apple authorized service at a local Best Buy or contact Apple Support for additional help.

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  3. To contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2020 1:28 PM in response to moltencore11

The battery reports says battery needs service. You need to have the machine checked out and, perhaps, have the battery replaced.

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service after the stores re-open. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD). You may also get Apple authorized service at a local Best Buy or contact Apple Support for additional help.

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  3. To contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

2015 Macbook Air shuts down with 75% battery power remaining?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.