Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro shuts down abruptly at increasingly high battery levels with no crash report after

After updating to Big Sur about 2 weeks ago, my macbook pro's (retina, early 2015) battery capacity greatly decreased. At first the problem was the battery would be drained in as fast as 3 hours (usual browsing and document editing). I though this was acceptable because obviously with time and newer software updates, my laptop would just not work as efficiently as when it was new. But after a few days the shut-downs occured; first at about 20%, then 40%, and increasingly, and now I could not use it on battery anymore even at 100%. I have to plug it all the time to use it.

I have tried resetting SMC, NVRAM/PRAM and safe boot. Nothing changed.

Here is my battery Charge Information:

Fully Charged: Yes

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 2816

State of Charge (%): 100

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 857

Condition: Service Recommended

I thought maybe the fact that my battery condition is "service recommended" is the cause but according to apple support's article on batteries I could still supposedly "safely continue to use [my] Mac" while on such battery condition. The article also says I "should take it to an Apple Store or Apple-authorized service provider to get your battery evaluated" but the nearest service center is 5 hours away and I am a student struggling with my finals so I can't do so as of now.

Last thing is, after i turn it on again, there are no crash reports so i can't really identify or solve my problem.

There is a similar thread to this (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1620583) but the dates are all in 2008, and I've tried their suggestions to no avail.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 6:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 1:41 PM

Hello esperade,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We see that your battery is not lasting very long and is showing “Service Recommended”.

We’d be happy to help!

Based on the cycle count that you have included and the “Service Recommended” condition, the battery will need to be replaced soon. You can refer to Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks

You can reach out to Apple Support for service options through the link in Get help with your Mac notebook battery.

Have a great day.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2021 1:41 PM in response to esperade

Hello esperade,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities!

We see that your battery is not lasting very long and is showing “Service Recommended”.

We’d be happy to help!

Based on the cycle count that you have included and the “Service Recommended” condition, the battery will need to be replaced soon. You can refer to Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks

You can reach out to Apple Support for service options through the link in Get help with your Mac notebook battery.

Have a great day.

Macbook Pro shuts down abruptly at increasingly high battery levels with no crash report after

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.