Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express Keeps switching Airport device it is connecting to.

Hi, I have a 1st gen airport express which is meant to connect wirelessly to my 6th gen AirPort Extreme and then wirelessly to my airport time capsule. The issue I have is the airport express often switches from being connected from extreme to time capsule. I then reset it and usually within 24 hours it has done the same thing. I want to try keep it connected to the extreme as it is located closest.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 7:03 AM

Jsegrue wrote:

Hi, I have a 1st gen airport express which is meant to connect wirelessly to my 6th gen AirPort Extreme and then wirelessly to my airport time capsule.

If your goal is to use the AirPort Express to extend the wireless range of the AirPort Extreme ... and then, to have the Time Capsule connect to that extended network to extend it even further, that won't work. The Apple base stations are not designed to extend a wireless network in a daisy-chain method. Of course, if that is not your intent, then I have misinterpreted your post and you can ignore my comments.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2020 7:03 AM in response to Jsegrue

Jsegrue wrote:

Hi, I have a 1st gen airport express which is meant to connect wirelessly to my 6th gen AirPort Extreme and then wirelessly to my airport time capsule.

If your goal is to use the AirPort Express to extend the wireless range of the AirPort Extreme ... and then, to have the Time Capsule connect to that extended network to extend it even further, that won't work. The Apple base stations are not designed to extend a wireless network in a daisy-chain method. Of course, if that is not your intent, then I have misinterpreted your post and you can ignore my comments.

Jun 27, 2020 3:28 PM in response to Jsegrue

Hi,

thanks for your reply. After I saw your reply I excepted that my two airport devices would both get there signal from the main time capsule. But then the airport system randomly switched back into the daisy chain, straight line system. Was womder8ng why this us and if there is anyway I can keep it like that.

thanks

jack

Jun 27, 2020 3:38 PM in response to Jsegrue

Apple's system only works on signal strength, so the two AirPort devices both need to be much closer to the Time Capsule than they are to each other. An ideal setup would be to have the Time Capsule in the middle of the house and one AirPort at one end of the house and the other AirPort at the other end of the house.

So, the worst location for the Time Capsule would be near the end of the house.

In other words, there is no way to tell the AirPorts where they should connect, so their location is the only thing that you can control.

If this does not work for you, then the only option will be connect one of the AirPorts to the Time Capsule using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection.

Airport Express Keeps switching Airport device it is connecting to.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.