Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted macOS and cannot install macOS/windows

My Mid 2011 27" iMac has no macos installed.

Some things i've tried:

Command + R, reset PRAM but to no avail

I've made both a Sierra and High Sierra bootable USB ( I have a second late 2013 iMac which i've used to make these) Whenever i've tried installing , i select the option key and boot from the usb. A loading bar is shown and upon completion, the screen simply turns white.

I've tried installing windows 10 (Made it from bootcamp with my second Mac). After booting up, windows 10 will work for a few minutes until I get an error (igdkmd64.sys) Apparently the graphic drivers aren't compatible. I've tried installing windows a few times and disabled/deleted the graphics drivers or even installing a copy of bootcamp drivers (5.0.5033) from a flash drive. After the persistent errors, the iMac chimes and loads with a windows boot screen however after loading, I am greeted with a black screen. I thought maybe it was because the 2011 iMac only supports upto windows 8.1.

So i've tried installing windows 8.1 (bootable usb made from Unetbootin) (i've also tried making it from Rufus on window however, it was not detected by my mac during boot selection(holding option) (probably become of some bios or UEFI boot thing). Windows doesn't install because it says "error loading media drivers" during installation.

I managed to access diskpart (during windows installation, pressing on shift + f10 for cmd and i partitioned the entire hard disk as primary, hence deleting all partitions and volumes)

I tried installing macos again with no partitons on my hard drive but was greeted to a white screen again after loading.

I don't really know what to do anymore. I was thinking of making a ubuntu bootable usb but I want to find a way to install macos or the very least windows.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 8:38 AM

You are sure Mac OS is not in the Recovery Partition (hold down Command + R on startup)? If so, your only option is to buy a Snow Leopard upgrade DVD (some can be found on EBay) and install Mac OS. Otherwise you would need the original media that shipped with the computer.

Similar questions

4 replies

Deleted macOS and cannot install macOS/windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.