Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG UltraFine 5K monitor 27" webcam choppy working with new MacBook Pro 13" 2020

Hi,

I have two LG UltraFine 5K monitors 27". The integrated webcam in both LG 5K monitors was working as expected (smooth) with MacBook Pros from 2018 and 2019. When connecting a MacBook Pro 2020 to the LG 5K monitors integrated webcam is choppy and freezes constantly.

We have tested the two LG 5K monitors, with 3 different MacBook Pros, from 2019 and two 2020. We can confirm that the issue only happens with the MacBook Pro 2020. We have also tested with FaceTime, Zoom, and Skype and the same issue appears in all apps, so it is not an app issue. The MacBook Pro 2020 webcam works fine with the apps.

There is an issue with the new MacBook Pro 2020 and the integrated webcam in the LG 5K monitors. Does any one have similar configuration and can confirm the problem? Does any one has a work around?

Thank you,

Aldo

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 5:45 PM

Hi,

I am sorry, but you misunderstood my post. The issue is not with the LG UltraFine 5K monitor webcam, but with the line of MacBook Pro 13" released in 2020. As I explained in my post, earlier MacBooks do not have a problem with the webcam, but the MacBook Pro 2020 have the issue with the LG 5K webcam. We have tested the issue with several MacBooks and also three LG 5K monitors.

In other words, the LG 5K webcam is fine. There seems to be a compatibility issue with the LG 5K monitor webcam, which Apple sell in its store. The LG 5K monitor was purchased from the Apple Store.

What Apple needs to do, it is to have a MacBook 13" 2020, plug it to an LG 5K monitor, open FaceTime or Zoom, and see the issue themselves, where the video is choppy. It is this simple.

Aldo

82 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2020 5:45 PM in response to rose_10

Hi,

I am sorry, but you misunderstood my post. The issue is not with the LG UltraFine 5K monitor webcam, but with the line of MacBook Pro 13" released in 2020. As I explained in my post, earlier MacBooks do not have a problem with the webcam, but the MacBook Pro 2020 have the issue with the LG 5K webcam. We have tested the issue with several MacBooks and also three LG 5K monitors.

In other words, the LG 5K webcam is fine. There seems to be a compatibility issue with the LG 5K monitor webcam, which Apple sell in its store. The LG 5K monitor was purchased from the Apple Store.

What Apple needs to do, it is to have a MacBook 13" 2020, plug it to an LG 5K monitor, open FaceTime or Zoom, and see the issue themselves, where the video is choppy. It is this simple.

Aldo

Jun 29, 2020 5:34 PM in response to freesf

Hello freesf and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are facing some difficulty with some LG monitors when they are connected to a 2020 MacBook Pro.

Use the LG UltraFine 5K Display with your Mac or iPad Pro - Apple Support

As you have already isolated the issue to the web cam in the monitor (i.e., the integrated camera in the macBook Pro itself works as expected) and other functions are not affected, you'll want to deal directly with LG on this.

27” UltraFine™ 5K IPS Monitor with macOS Compatibility | LG US Business

Cheers.

Jul 31, 2020 8:39 AM in response to J Michael

I did the same, attached a C920. Other issues I have however include:

1. USB devices attached to monitor come and go. So my Ethernet and C920 do not reliably get presented to the MBP.
  2. Microphone on LG monitor has poor quality - folks on the other end of my video calls complain.

So I have had to use the LG monitor for monitor only. Speaker, mic, webcam, ethernet all from the MBP or direct-attach to MBP. So the hub concept of the LG monitor is mostly dead. I get video and power through the TB3 cable.

Jul 1, 2020 10:17 AM in response to ainternational1

Me too! How can we raise the awareness to apple about this? I'm thinking an issue with the thunderbolt integration on the new MacBook pros. I have read they route directly to the CPU rather than through a controller? Something like that. Anyway, my 5k screen worked perfect with older MacBooks and continues to do so - it's definitely the new MacBook!

Jul 15, 2020 4:13 PM in response to freesf

I had this issue as well. Thankfully, it appears that Apple addressed this along with the other USB hub issues in the 10.15.6 MacOS update (generally available now). I had pretty consistent issues with the LG UltraFine 5k before with my new MacBook Pro 2020 13", but after the update the webcam frame rate seems consistent with what I observed with my MacBook Pro 2018 13".

Jul 15, 2020 6:11 PM in response to wheresaldo

I want to share with the group that I purchase a brand new LG UltraFine 5K (build on 2020) to test the MacBook 13" 2020 LG 5K webcam issue. With the new monitor, there issue is almost non-existent. So, I am keeping the new LG 5K (build on 2020) monitor. This is an expensive fix!

My other two LG UltraFine 5K were build in 2017. I hope this information helps.

Aldo

Jul 31, 2020 11:14 AM in response to Supermanfan

Hi Supermanfan,

Thank you for your workaround suggestion of buying and adding an external webcam. Great idea!

I do want to make sure that we stay focused on the fact that we paid $1,299 for a LG UltraFine 5K monitor with an integrated webcam, which the integrated webcam does not work with the new MacBook Pro 13" 2020. I have three LG UltraFine 5K monitors, so I am extremely frustrated.

I hope this thread will put pressure on Apple to fix the issue as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Aldo

Jul 31, 2020 12:01 PM in response to freesf

The external webcam was relatively inexpensive (<$100) and actually better than the internal webcam from LG, for both video and audio. So I see it more as an upgrade and for that I am happy. As for the quality of the monitor itself, it remains stunning after three years - no hedonic adaptation here!

As a developer, I have filed a bug report. If you have access to Feedback Assistant, you can refer to FB8002514 and FB7743077.

Aug 1, 2020 10:06 PM in response to freesf

Hi. I’m curious how your screen uniformity is on your 3 lg 5k monitors? I just got one but on a white or grey screen the sides seem more magenta. I know no monitor is perfect but for the hefty price I’m a bit disappointed in this. Do you also have this issue on your screens? Wondering if trying another copy will make a difference.

Aug 2, 2020 12:09 PM in response to wow555

Hi wow555,

I own three LG 5K and the image and color quality is consistence across the entire screen, including the edges, except on one which I purchased in 2017. In this particular one, in the bottom right corner there is some magenta when there is a white image. If you purchased a brand new LG 5K and the edges are magenta, it might be defective. LG 5K are will known for excellent quality.

Aldo

Note: this thread is regarding the LG 5K integrated webcam and the MacBook Pro 13" 2020 issues. You might have to search other support threads for more info.

LG UltraFine 5K monitor 27" webcam choppy working with new MacBook Pro 13" 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.