Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

opening Final Cut fcpproject files with no library?

Hi all. I have several old .fcpproject files, and the related Final Cut Project and Final Cut Event folders that go with them from old projects that are scattered across several external drives. It's looking like there were never any library files to go with them, or that maybe they just didn't get saved. The projects are from back around 2013, and I don't remember what version of Final Cut I (or "we") were on at the time? I'm currently running an older Mac Pro with Final Cut Pro v 10.3.1 on Sierra. Is there any method anyone is aware of that might rescue these projects? Maybe a way to build libraries from the project and event folders? I've seen references online to a command under the File menu to update projects.. but my version doesn't seem to list that command? Thanks for any advice!

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 1:01 AM

I am afraid that the only way to get version 10.2.3 might be with a Mac running Yosemite. If you have one, or can install Yosemite on an external drive, boot using Yosemite, go to the App Store with your Apple id, and click to download Final Cut Pro. It will tell you that the current version is not compatible and ask if you want the latest version that is. Confirm. Then use it to convert all the old stuff to libraries.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2020 1:01 AM in response to ThosSounds

I am afraid that the only way to get version 10.2.3 might be with a Mac running Yosemite. If you have one, or can install Yosemite on an external drive, boot using Yosemite, go to the App Store with your Apple id, and click to download Final Cut Pro. It will tell you that the current version is not compatible and ask if you want the latest version that is. Confirm. Then use it to convert all the old stuff to libraries.

Jun 27, 2020 1:38 AM in response to ThosSounds

I had the same problem as you a few months ago and downloaded the old FCP X.

However, I then decided that I couldn't be bothered resurrecting ancient projects and deleted both the project/content files and FCP X 10.2.3 itself!

I do have the original SD cards and backups of the footage should I ever wish to revisit them.

It may be that you will eventually come to the same conclusion as I did. 😀

Jul 4, 2020 1:24 PM in response to ThosSounds

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I was able to actually make an OS 10.9 boot drive (thanks to Diskmaker X) and then could download v 10.1 of Final Cut which has the "update projects and events" command (thankfully!) I'm not convinced it brought forward 100% of the edits and files correctly, but.. it's certainly close. I'm becoming more and more convinced one should never part with their old systems/machines because of things like this! Thanks again!

opening Final Cut fcpproject files with no library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.