Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User issues after downgrading from Catalina back to Mojave

Hello,

I recently downgraded from Catalina to Mojave due to an audio interface I'm using no longer being supported.

I didn't downgrade using time machine, which in retrospect I should have.

I downgraded by deleting the OS Partition and reinstalling using installation media.

I didn't delete the Mac HD Data partition so that I would keep my data.

My issue is after reinstalling Mojave is that all of my applications and data are under my previous user, because I was forced to create a new user when reinstalling Mojave.

My old user doesn't exist under "users" when trying to log in but I can access it through the MacHD Data folder.

Is there a way or tool to take ownership of all of this data over from my previous user to my new user? Or just re-gain access to my previous user?

I could just individually copy over each application, but some of these applications (ex.Logic Pro X) have over 50GB of data within them and user presets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tristan

iMac Pro

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 11:47 AM

You did not follow the proper downgrading process that requires erasing the entire disk before installing a different OS version. Mojave and Catalina are very different, and the process you chose almost guarantees that Mojave will not work properly.

My suggestion is to follow the proper procedure of fully erasing the drive, installing Mojave, then restoring your data. This can be done in the Setup Assistant where you can transfer your Home folder by choosing the initial option to transfer files from a Time Machine backup. This process will avoid the problem you have, now, of two user accounts.

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-Shift-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This should install the version of macOS that was pre-installed from the factory.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2020 11:47 AM in response to Tristan1004

You did not follow the proper downgrading process that requires erasing the entire disk before installing a different OS version. Mojave and Catalina are very different, and the process you chose almost guarantees that Mojave will not work properly.

My suggestion is to follow the proper procedure of fully erasing the drive, installing Mojave, then restoring your data. This can be done in the Setup Assistant where you can transfer your Home folder by choosing the initial option to transfer files from a Time Machine backup. This process will avoid the problem you have, now, of two user accounts.

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-Shift-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This should install the version of macOS that was pre-installed from the factory.

Jun 28, 2020 9:19 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the information.

My concern is that I don’t have a time machine backup, or any back up of the user account that I need. It only exists on the main mac HD. If I do a time machine backup of the current user it will only retain those files (of the user I need) within the data partition of the drive and I fear that it won’t properly transfer over if I wipe the drive and do a clean install and then transfer the time machine backup in. Am I correct in assuming that it will only put me in the exact same situation? Or will it pull those user files properly?

Thanks.

Jun 28, 2020 11:02 AM in response to Tristan1004

Use your Time Machine backup to restore only your data in your Home folder. Do not restore anything else. If the problem does return, at least you will know where to start looking.

After you complete the installation of macOS, the computer boots into the Setup Assistant. The Setup Assistant will ask if you want to restore files from a Time Machine backup. If you opt to do that, then Setup Assistant will migrate your Home folder along with other restore options such as third-party applications. I would stick to just your Home folder.

During installation you should pay careful attention to install options such as full disk encryption. Be sure to deselect the option if it's the default.

User issues after downgrading from Catalina back to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.