Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t turning notifications on back after turning it off

I have turned off the notification function of a certain app in Setting for a period. Now I turned it on back but it doesn’t work. It stays off. It is confirmed that the notification function inside the app is already turned on. How can I fix it?

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 12:08 PM

You said that the app settings for notifications are set within the app itself. Did you go to the device settings and check there? Settings>Notifications>App Name. Make sure you have allowed notifications in there and make sure you have selected a sound.

If that fails, you could try offloading it and then download it again, or delete it and download it again. When you offload an app, the app data is retained. When you delete and app, the data is removed as well as the app itself.

If you want to offload it, go to Settings>iPhone Storage. Let the list of apps load. Find the app in the list and tap on it. In the next screen, tap Offload app. If you want to delete it, you can also delete it in that screen.

If you do either of the two, restart your phone then go back to the App Store. Tap on your account icon in the upper right. Tap on Purchased in the resulting window. All of your purchased apps will appear. Find the app and tap the download icon to reinstall it.

I don’t know if that will do any good, but if you offload the app, you should still retain the app data. It’s worth a try. I don’t want to see you reset all settings for one app. That’s not the absolute nuclear option but it can be a pain to have to enter all settings again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2020 12:08 PM in response to Credence13

You said that the app settings for notifications are set within the app itself. Did you go to the device settings and check there? Settings>Notifications>App Name. Make sure you have allowed notifications in there and make sure you have selected a sound.

If that fails, you could try offloading it and then download it again, or delete it and download it again. When you offload an app, the app data is retained. When you delete and app, the data is removed as well as the app itself.

If you want to offload it, go to Settings>iPhone Storage. Let the list of apps load. Find the app in the list and tap on it. In the next screen, tap Offload app. If you want to delete it, you can also delete it in that screen.

If you do either of the two, restart your phone then go back to the App Store. Tap on your account icon in the upper right. Tap on Purchased in the resulting window. All of your purchased apps will appear. Find the app and tap the download icon to reinstall it.

I don’t know if that will do any good, but if you offload the app, you should still retain the app data. It’s worth a try. I don’t want to see you reset all settings for one app. That’s not the absolute nuclear option but it can be a pain to have to enter all settings again.

Can’t turning notifications on back after turning it off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.