Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.1.14 ➨ Mojave ➨ Viewer Black Screen (only sound is working)

Hi,

I'm facing a weird situation with iMovie 10.1.14 on Mojave.

Video File perfectly nice when preview on QuickTime but imported to the iMovie, Viewer shown Black Screen but sound was available!

Sound is working on Event Window as well as Timeline window, but playhead doesn't move!

What's wrong? What should I do?

** Already:

Restart

SMC & PRAM reset

Reinstalled iMovie

Converted Video to .mov file

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 11:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 9:05 AM

Sometimes lowering the resolution can eliminate the black screen. Try exporting out of QuickTimePlayer at a lower resolution and see if that works better in iMovie.

What exactly is the resolution and frame rate of the clip?

-- Rich

5 replies

Jun 28, 2020 8:45 AM in response to mactreouser

Hi,

Try converting the .mov file to H.264, Mp4/AAC. You can use the free download Handbrake for that purpose. Here's the link for the Handbrake download:

https://handbrake.fr/

Another thing you can try is to delete preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.

-- Rich

Jun 28, 2020 11:35 AM in response to mactreouser

Apparently it wasn't the source. Glad you were able to solve it.

I assume that you used Time Machine to revert to your previous iMovie version?

Reverting back is fine for this instance, but you don't want to be frozen there. Lots of people are using iMovie 10.1.14 and Mojave with no problem. At least, not hearing much complaint here. So you should try to get to the bottom of it. Might be harder now that you have reverted back. You could try calling Apple Support and see if they have any suggestion as to what is causing the problem. They might tell you to upgrade to Catalina and iMovie 10.1.14. But maybe they will have other suggestions.

-- Rich

iMovie 10.1.14 ➨ Mojave ➨ Viewer Black Screen (only sound is working)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.