Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie video turns black but audio continues to play

I created a video in iMovie and exported it to my external flash drive. When I play the video back from the flash drive, the video feed goes black mid way through but audio continues to play. How can I fix this?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 4:24 PM

You won't be able to fix the problem in the exported video, as that is cast in stone.

Go back to your project and use the slider located above and to the right of the timeline to expand it full out. Then scroll though your project timeline in the area where your videos turned black. Look for black frames, white flashes, artifacts and any other signs of corruption. Cut out any that you find and re-export. See if that solves it.

If you want to preserve your original project, you might want to make a duplicate of your original project and work with the duplicate.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2021 4:24 PM in response to priced75

You won't be able to fix the problem in the exported video, as that is cast in stone.

Go back to your project and use the slider located above and to the right of the timeline to expand it full out. Then scroll though your project timeline in the area where your videos turned black. Look for black frames, white flashes, artifacts and any other signs of corruption. Cut out any that you find and re-export. See if that solves it.

If you want to preserve your original project, you might want to make a duplicate of your original project and work with the duplicate.

-- Rich

iMovie video turns black but audio continues to play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.