Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Video Audio does not fully export

Hi,

I have imported a video file into imovie 10 to trim the start and end and add 2 slides with audio.

It all plays fine until I export it, as half the audio on the original video is missing, it just stops.

Looking at the timeline the audio looks like it stops but when playing it in imovie you can hear it so I'm not sure whats going on?

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 12:09 PM

So, as I understand it, when you play the clip in the timeline you can hear the sound as the playhead moves through the area where the wave forms are missing, but in the exported product the sound is silent through that area.

Try placing the video clip on your desktop and re-encoding it with the free download, Handbrake. That often cures audio problems.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. It should work fine.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2020 12:09 PM in response to Mel_W

So, as I understand it, when you play the clip in the timeline you can hear the sound as the playhead moves through the area where the wave forms are missing, but in the exported product the sound is silent through that area.

Try placing the video clip on your desktop and re-encoding it with the free download, Handbrake. That often cures audio problems.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. It should work fine.

-- Rich

Oct 14, 2020 11:36 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have tried this and it seems to have recovered slightly more of the audio than before but there still seems to be a section missing. I have attached a screen shot of the audio on the timeline for you. There is a section that looks like it doesn't have any audio but when playing it in imovie you can hear it. It is obviously missing though as when the file is exported you can't hear that section. I don't know why it is not picking it up. I have tried deleting and importing the original video file several times but when dragging the file down onto the timeline it seems to miss a chunk of audio?

Oct 14, 2020 10:16 AM in response to Mel_W

Mel_W,

Try deleting preferences. To delete preferences Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can export and get the full audio.

-- Rich

iMovie Video Audio does not fully export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.