Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update iMovie or other apps on Catalina Mac

When I enter the App Store, it shows I have 5 apps to update. I click the 'update' button beside any of the apps. The update button is replaced by a spinning circle, and then the update button reappears, as if nothing has happened. I've tried update all and restarting the App Store but everything has failed to work. I am unable to open iMovie without this update, so I'd really like to get to the bottom of this. How do I update apps on Catalina Mac?

-I have a MacBook Air that was recently updated to Catalina

-Garage Band and iMovie haven't been updated since Dec 10, 2019 the rest since Mar 31, 2020

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 4:56 PM

Hello blouleu,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand the App Store on your Mac is unresponsive, when you attempt to update your apps.

Having the latest update for your favorite apps is important, and we'd like to help.

To help troubleshoot this behavior, we recommend to follow the steps outlined in this helpful article: If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services

In addition, you can restart your Mac in safe mode. This helps perform a basic check of your startup disk, deletes some system caches and more: How to use safe mode on your Mac Once you're in safe mode, please restart your Mac normally and see if you can update your apps.

Please keep us posted with the results.

Best regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2020 4:56 PM in response to blouleu

Hello blouleu,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand the App Store on your Mac is unresponsive, when you attempt to update your apps.

Having the latest update for your favorite apps is important, and we'd like to help.

To help troubleshoot this behavior, we recommend to follow the steps outlined in this helpful article: If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services

In addition, you can restart your Mac in safe mode. This helps perform a basic check of your startup disk, deletes some system caches and more: How to use safe mode on your Mac Once you're in safe mode, please restart your Mac normally and see if you can update your apps.

Please keep us posted with the results.

Best regards.

Unable to update iMovie or other apps on Catalina Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.