Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro and External Display

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro 2016 model and a HP 27inch 4K Envy Display. I have the laptop connected to the external monitor via thunderbolt 3 and the laptop chargers but will not display anything on the monitor... when I did first try this I was able to get it to connect but I sometimes had to switch to a different port on the laptop but now it is not working at all.. it still charges but that is it. I have plugged in other devices into the same port on the monitor and had zero issues. Any ideas on things I can try? I am at a loss on this one.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 9:16 PM

You appear to be using the external display to charge your MacBook Pro via the Thunderbolt 3 connection. In other words, one USB-C to USB-C cable used to connect the MacBook Pro and the external display. Please confirm this assumption for me.

If the above is true then can you use the the other Thunderbolt 3 port to connect your MacBook Pro's charger as well? Charge the MacBook with the charger that came with it. Your MacBook will then draw power from the charger instead of the display.

The idea here is to see whether that helps to resolve your issue.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2020 9:16 PM in response to william277

You appear to be using the external display to charge your MacBook Pro via the Thunderbolt 3 connection. In other words, one USB-C to USB-C cable used to connect the MacBook Pro and the external display. Please confirm this assumption for me.

If the above is true then can you use the the other Thunderbolt 3 port to connect your MacBook Pro's charger as well? Charge the MacBook with the charger that came with it. Your MacBook will then draw power from the charger instead of the display.

The idea here is to see whether that helps to resolve your issue.

Axel F.

MacBook Pro and External Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.