Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two keys on don't work on my Macbook Air - Is Apple supposed to fix for free due to lawsuit?

It's been very hard to get my "i" key to work for a long time now. The "i" key slab and rubber cup have fallen off and disappeared, and I've been pressing the key without the top slab. I usually have to press multiple times in a harder way to get the "i" to show up on the screen, and it still often doesn't work. I've been getting carpal tunnel on my finger due to having to press so hard, in a non-ergonomic way. 

When I still had the top slab of the i key and the rubber cup and and put them on top of the missing "i" well, I still couldn't get the "i" to show up on the screen. So buying a replacement key slab and cup won't help.

And more recently, my "8" key hasn't been working at all, though the top key slab is still stuck in place.

I chatted with Apple, and they quoted over $300 for me to mail it in to get fixed. I'm guessing they need to replace the whole keyboard. 

Apparently, there was a class action lawsuit for the keyboard issue, which has affected various Macbook Pros and Macbook Airs since 2015:

They introduced a butterfly keyboard that caused all the problems with the keys. Apple agreed to fix laptops with the keyboard problems at no cost to the consumers. 

But that's not what Apple said to me - they quoted me hundreds of dollars to get it fixed. I also went to an independent device repair shop, and what they quoted wasn’t that much less than Apple’s. 

I’ve looked online, but haven’t been able to resolve the issues myself. What should I do?

I have a Macbook Air 13" late-2017 (A1466). I'm using OS Mojave 10.14.6. 

[Link Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 1:37 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Two keys on don't work on my Macbook Air - Is Apple supposed to fix for free due to lawsuit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.