Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Replacement

Hi,

My space bar never felt right very shortly after I purchased it. I called Apple and explained the situation but eventually didn't proceed with the offer of getting it looked at due to the pandemic. Several months later, it becomes so bad that I'm having to press quite hard on certain keys for them to register but the space bar was the worst. Normally keys are easily removed and so are the ones on the apple MacBook Pro but underneath is a thin layer of plastic sheet that is now torn and the key is impossible to put back. I called Apple and they suggested I take it to a store. I then called a local authorised dealer who said it was not eligible for repair since I have broken it and it will cost £300 to fix. I've since given up and now wondering if that was the best choice. Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 6:25 AM

Don't you mean apple MacBook keys are easily damaged? I've been an IT engineer for 30 years and wouldn't have expected there being a fault with such an expensive piece of equipment and reputable business.

May be it's my bad luck because my previous Apple MacBook Pro developed the known GPU fault, however I was not aware of the recall and I was not notified by Apple. When I went into a store they told me I was 1 month past their deadline.

I must admit I am likely never going to buy another MacBook Pro again.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2022 6:25 AM in response to leroydouglas

Don't you mean apple MacBook keys are easily damaged? I've been an IT engineer for 30 years and wouldn't have expected there being a fault with such an expensive piece of equipment and reputable business.

May be it's my bad luck because my previous Apple MacBook Pro developed the known GPU fault, however I was not aware of the recall and I was not notified by Apple. When I went into a store they told me I was 1 month past their deadline.

I must admit I am likely never going to buy another MacBook Pro again.

Feb 12, 2022 5:34 PM in response to stamati76

stamati76 wrote:

Hi,
My space bar never felt right very shortly after I purchased it. I called Apple and explained the situation but eventually didn't proceed with the offer of getting it looked at due to the pandemic. Several months later, it becomes so bad that I'm having to press quite hard on certain keys for them to register but the space bar was the worst. Normally keys are easily removed and so are the ones on the apple MacBook Pro but underneath is a thin layer of plastic sheet that is now torn and the key is impossible to put back. I called Apple and they suggested I take it to a store. I then called a local authorised dealer who said it was not eligible for repair since I have broken it and it will cost £300 to fix. I've since given up and now wondering if that was the best choice. Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance

Not advise to start dismantling keys, unless this is something you do professionally. Keys are easily damaged.

Apple will not repair keys—they will install a new keyboard.

See if you qualify:

https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

otherwise—

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209095

An external keyboard is an option if you can not justify the repair cost.

Keyboard Replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.