Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini and bluetooth dongle: how to keep working over computer restarts?

Have a 2018 Mac Mini (10.15.5) using a bluetooth dongle to improve the performance of my bluetooth mouse. Bluetooth mouse doesn't work well with internal bluetooth, but with the bluetooth USB dongle, that I plug into the keyboard USB port right next to the mouse, it works great. I can get the bluetooth mouse to pair to the bluetooth dongle, but the pairing is apparently lost over a computer restart. When I restart the mac, it shows the address of the bluetooth dongle, but "bluetooth preferences" shows the mouse is not connected. I can re-establish the pairing after a bit of fooling around, but it's a pain in the neck :-).

So the mac has the bluetooth dongle and bluetooth mouse when it reboots, but the pairing between the two is lost. Anyone have any idea how I can make this pairing last over restarts?

Thanks.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 5:47 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jul 2, 2020 10:05 AM in response to RogerSC

Hello RogerSC,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's our understanding that your Bluetooth mouse connection is lost and won't connect as expected with your USB dongle and Mac mini after restarting. You've come to the right place! We're happy to help.

We recommend trying to connect your USB dongle with a different USB port on your Mac mini. If the issue persists test the issue on safe mode. Starting in safe mode allows your Mac to run certain checks, remove caches, and prevent login items from automatically launching. This can isolate possible third party issues. Use the steps and information in the link below for assistance with safe mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue persists, test in another user account. This will help determine if the issue is user specific or system wide.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let us know the results. Please include any other troubleshooting steps that you may have tried.

Have a nice day!

mac mini and bluetooth dongle: how to keep working over computer restarts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.