Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2017 flexgate

Considering the brand value of Apple, I purchased Macbook Pro 2017 in October 2017. But much to my surprise, the laptop has started malfunctioning just 2.5 years later.

On opening the laptop screen above 40 degrees or so, the screen is blacking out - flexgate issue.

Really disappointed with this product. How can such an expensive thing malfunction within 2.5 years.

Even a cheap price laptop would work more than this.

Really annoying to see and hear that Apple is continuously deleting posts from the community regarding this flexgate issue.

Pathetic quality of the material used. Really disappointed.

Apple must start a repair program for Macbook Pro 2017 Flexgate.

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 2:28 AM

it's not just 2017. mine 2018 had this issue after slighty more than a year after my purchased. the main problem is, even if i spend money to repair it now, the same problem could just occur in another 1 year time. how many time do i want to spend money to fix it? owning mbp seems like you would need to allocate some money for maintenance annually. absolutely rubbish. i am telling everyone i know DO NOT BUY the new mbp. whether it's 2018, 2019 or even 2020. macbook pro has lost its glory.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2020 2:28 AM in response to narora1998

it's not just 2017. mine 2018 had this issue after slighty more than a year after my purchased. the main problem is, even if i spend money to repair it now, the same problem could just occur in another 1 year time. how many time do i want to spend money to fix it? owning mbp seems like you would need to allocate some money for maintenance annually. absolutely rubbish. i am telling everyone i know DO NOT BUY the new mbp. whether it's 2018, 2019 or even 2020. macbook pro has lost its glory.

Aug 1, 2020 11:00 AM in response to narora1998

I too have the same problem,when you start the laptop there is no issue, after 2 hr of running there is some horizontal black lines at the bottom of the screen, after few days you will face stage light issue (uneven down light bottom of the screen) after few days. & then you will face total screen failure if you stretch the screen more than 90 degree. I called up apple service centre . Apple giving free replacement of macbook pro mid 2016 model for same problem, but inspite having same screen, same flex cable problem they are denying for mid 2017 models. its a Flexigate problem, you can found so many videos in youtube. Most of the macbook users of 2016, 2017 models facing same problem. Apple service centre also knows the fact, they also feel embarrassed to say that we have to change whole upper section with display which is cost more than 700$ for a only 8$ flex cable. actually the flex cable is present under the hinge. when you open & close the laptop it gets damaged. Apple should seriously look the matter. A 3000$ laptop having such a manufacturing defect is not acceptable.

More over all the rubbers around the screen is melting. its really ridiculous from Apple product.

Please look the video from iFixit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aihRru-lCns

Macbook Pro 2017 flexgate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.