Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Someone is trying to use my gmail address, which is not connected to my Apple ID, to create an Apple ID

Yesterday I received 5 emails in a row into my gmail inbox, which is NOT connected with my Apple ID.

1. Welcome to iCloud
  2. Your Apple ID (gmail account) was used to sign in to iCloud on an iPhone XR.
  3. Verify your Apple ID (and if it's not me I should change my Apple ID password)
  4. Verify your email address with a code sent (and if it's not me I should change my Apple ID password)
  5. Verify your email address with a code sent (and if it's not me I should change my Apple ID password)

I then checked my Apple ID and all is fine.

This morning I received an email in my gmail inbox "Welcome to your new iPhone XR" with the marketing walk through of the phone.

From time to time people with close email addresses have made the honest mistake of mistyping in my email address and I inform the sender that it's the wrong person.

My question to this group is as to whether this feels like a scam that I need to treat as an attempt at ID theft, or just a mistake (email typo) by the new iPhone XR user. In the case of attempted ID theft, would Apple be able to help solve this? What would the next steps be? Any suggestions appreciated!

Thank you.

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 1:05 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Someone is trying to use my gmail address, which is not connected to my Apple ID, to create an Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.