Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to an FTP Server

I would like to connect to an FTP server with my iMac running 10.14.6. I have tried to connect using the Connect to Server command in the Finder menu without success. I have also been unsuccessful using the FTP Client Filezilla. The only information I have for the server is the Encryption, the host name (which looks like an IP address) and a port number. I also have a username and password to log in. So far I've not been able to connect using my iMac. I get an error message like:

Error:        A certificate in the chain was signed using an insecure algorithm

Error:        Received certificate chain could not be verified.

Status:      Connection attempt failed with "ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted".

Error:        Could not connect to server

However, I connected immediately using my Laptop, running Windows 10 and the FTP Client Winscp on the first attempt with the settings I have. Why can't I get these settings to work on the Mac? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 3:07 PM

ELFritzen wrote:

I would like to connect to an FTP server with my iMac running 10.14.6. I have tried to connect using the Connect to Server command in the Finder menu without success. I have also been unsuccessful using the FTP Client Filezilla. The only information I have for the server is the Encryption, the host name (which looks like an IP address) and a port number. I also have a username and password to log in. So far I've not been able to connect using my iMac. I get an error message like:

Status:      Connection attempt failed with "ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted".

However, I connected immediately using my Laptop, running Windows 10 and the FTP Client Winscp on the first attempt with the settings I have. Why can't I get these settings to work on the Mac? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

Have you tried a different ftp client to eliminate some issue with your Filezilla.

There are many, one example that always seems to work trouble free is Fetch

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2020 3:07 PM in response to ELFritzen

ELFritzen wrote:

Ed

Have you tried a different ftp client to eliminate some issue with your Filezilla.

There are many, one example that always seems to work trouble free is Fetch

Jul 1, 2020 4:33 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks for the reply. The information I have to connect specifically states for the file/connection protocol to use FTP and Encryption should be set to TLS/SSL Implicit encryption. The only other information I have is the Host Name and a Port number. Like I said, using this information allowed me to connect using WinSCP on a Laptop running Windows 10, so I think the server is ok. There's something about the Mac OS that's not allowing me to connect.

Jul 2, 2020 9:37 AM in response to BobHarris

The only information I have from the server is a number that looks like an IP address. I don't have anything like:

ftp://server.address.information or ftps://server.address.information. I enter only the IP address number I have into the "host" field with the other information I have and try to connect. I get error messages and cannot connect.

Thanks for the reply.

Ed

Jul 3, 2020 7:13 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for the suggestion. Using Fetch I was able to connect with the server information I have. I downloaded Fetch to try and put in the required information. On first attempt I got an error about not being able to verify a certificate that was sent by the server. Fetch gave me the option to view the certificate and change its settings so that it will always be trusted. Once I did that, the connection was made.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I never saw any option to view or change certificate settings with FileZilla or some of the other FTP clients I was looking at.

Ed

Connecting to an FTP Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.