Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error code 512 on my time capsule

my time capsule won't back up, attempts to start and then has error code 512

what does this mean?

the time capsule asked me to restart all my backups, which I did, so it has now wiped all my previous back ups, then will not create a new one

I have no idea what to do now, having restarted both my Mac book pro and time capsule

any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 9:05 PM

Apple has no list of error codes.. so we don't know exactly.. but most errors have to do with network issues.

Also the latest update to Catalina caused major problems with Time Machine on Apple Time Capsule.

For now the best option is really not use Time Machine.

Download Carbon Copy Cloner and try that out.. it is free to use for a month and works really well.

If you really want to work at Time Machine I don't have any magic bullet and it might do the same thing in a week even if you get it working. You can plug a USB drive into the MacBook Pro.. Time Machine is much better working on local disk than network.. worth a try if you seldom carry the laptop around.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2020 9:05 PM in response to peneweir

Apple has no list of error codes.. so we don't know exactly.. but most errors have to do with network issues.

Also the latest update to Catalina caused major problems with Time Machine on Apple Time Capsule.

For now the best option is really not use Time Machine.

Download Carbon Copy Cloner and try that out.. it is free to use for a month and works really well.

If you really want to work at Time Machine I don't have any magic bullet and it might do the same thing in a week even if you get it working. You can plug a USB drive into the MacBook Pro.. Time Machine is much better working on local disk than network.. worth a try if you seldom carry the laptop around.

error code 512 on my time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.