Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine error with time capsule, after many successful backups

TM has stopped working for 2 days now.

i was using the computer for short periods of time with often opening and closing of the laptop, maybe it is the numerous open/closed sessions that prevented it to do a proper back up?

it is now displaying: "the backup on AirPort BAse Station is already used"

anyone knows?

MacBook Pro 15″, 11.7

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 2:21 PM

8 replies

Jan 30, 2023 6:05 AM in response to Bob Timmons

the verification took about one hour, but there was no error message, it posted that the verification was completed... only that... bizarre

So because there was no message error i tried to do another backup but this message came back again. translating into "INCOMPLETE BACKUP. the backup on "Lady Gaga Airport Base station is already used."

i hope this help to do diagnostic. thanks a lot again.

Jan 29, 2023 4:45 PM in response to tintinclubmed

There are more steps to perform.......

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Select and run Verify Backups

The process might take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more depending on how much data is stored on the Time Capsule disk. Let the process run until it completes or until you see an error message.

If an error message appears, post back with the exact text of the message.

Jan 30, 2023 6:23 AM in response to tintinclubmed

I believe that the message that you are seeing indicates that the Time Capsule is already in use. It is strange that the Verify Backups diagnostic check was able to run, because it cannot do this if the Time Capsule is already in use.

Try power off the Time Capsule again and leave if off for 15-20 minutes

Power the Time Capsule back up again

Hold down the Shift Key on your Mac while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen and run Back Up With Consistency Scan

This check might take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more.

Please post back on your results.

Feb 3, 2023 1:25 PM in response to Bob Timmons

hello again

thank you veeeery much to help me.

I did a timemachine backup on another HardDrive, jsut in case, and it ran well. so the problem is with the airport base station for sure it seems.

i did as you asked, turned airport base off for 20minutes, and also turn my laptop off for 5 minutes, restarted the laptop and then the airport bas station.

i then did a back up with consistency scan... and everthing came bakc to normal, without any error messages....

maybe the long waiting period of time the power was off?... anyways... the airport works again now as an automatic back up

i thank you veryvery much Bob

it is very appreciated

tintin

time machine error with time capsule, after many successful backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.