Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS disk full after first time machine backup.

Hello all,

Last week I install macOS Mojave in my MacBook Pro Mid 2012. It's been working fine, so yesterday I set up my Time Machine Backup. It's been copying files all the night (first backup size is around 400Gb).

Yesterday I had 130Gb of free space in my internal SSD, but this morning, after finishing the backup I saw that my internal SSD became full. I have now less than 2Gb free in the internal SSD.

I had this same problem a few years ago and I solved it when I deactivated local snapshots, but this time didn't work.

Any idea of what can I do before reinstalling again the OS?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 11:41 AM

Hey all,

I think I know what happened.. As it was the first copy, macOS has downloaded all the stuff in my iCloud Drive for copying it. So that's why my internal drive was full when finishing the backup.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 2, 2020 4:34 AM in response to PabloOrtega

When the mac is not connected to the Time Capsule it will make local snapshots on your macs internal SSD. When you connect your mac to your Time Capsule the mac should then off load the snapshots to the Time Capsule and once that is done clear them off your internal SSD.

About Time Machine local snapshots – Apple Support

https://www.howtogeek.com/212207/how-to-free-up-space-used-by-time-machines-local-backups-on-your-mac/

macOS disk full after first time machine backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.