Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G-Drive SSD R-Series Not Deleting Files

I am using the G-Drive SSD R-Series for files and backing up my MacBook Pro. It was working great, but now I delete files and the available space does not increase. It shows 276 MB purgeable, and I can't figure out how to get those files deleted.

I am in marketing, and I also utilize it to save a lot of high resolution images. At this point there is not enough space to backup my computer, and I've deleted a lot of large files that I would have kept...but when I deleted them the space did not change.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 12:30 PM

Hi, welcome the the Apple User Community forum.

Please don't think me being a Smart Alec. Have you actually gone to "Empty The Trash" when the device is connected?

The files will actually stay in the "Trash" even when you disconnect the drive.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck.

4 replies

Jul 2, 2020 12:22 PM in response to MareC

MareC Said:

"G-Drive SSD R-Series Not Deleting Files: It was working great, but now I delete files and the available space does not increase. It shows 276 MB purgeable, and I can't figure out how to get those files deleted. [...]I also utilize it to save a lot of high resolution images. At this point there is not enough space to backup my computer, and I've deleted a lot of large files that I would have kept...but when I deleted them the space did not change."

-------

Storage: 276MB would not be enough for a new backup. Also, note that each photos is typically 2-4MB in size, so that means you'd have 69 photos max.

So, Clear the Caches: Perform the following, then see if all shows as it should.

I. Boot into Safe Mode:

Doing so, all caches are set aside, with the goal of everything to appress as it should.

1. Shut Down: your Mac
  2. Power On: your Mac
  3. Hold Down: Shift key
  4. Log In: as same user
  5. Shut Down: the Mac

Once shut down...

II. Refresh the connection...

1. Unplug: the Hard Drive
  2. Wait: 30 Seconds
  3. Plug In: the Hard Drive
  4. Power On: your Mac
  5. Log In: as the same user

See if it now is seen as it should:

Jul 2, 2020 12:27 PM in response to MareC

MareC Said:

"By the way, the drive is not "old hardware". It is less than 1 year old. I could not find an applicable category."

-------

A Dead Drive:

If the drive goes dead: Contact the manufacturer, and request a new drive - maybe they have a one-year manufacture warranty with it, that is.

Data Recovery:

As for data recovery: Well, that could cost thousands, if you never purchased a data recovery protection plan of sorts with it.

G-Drive SSD R-Series Not Deleting Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.