Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hold Down The Shift Key and Choose File > Convert > Convert to [Import Preference]

I'm trying to import my entire collection of Music Files that I ripped to my WMP in Lossless format and I was trying to follow the list below taken from the Convert songs from files in a folder or on a disk section from this website: Convert a song to a different file format with the Apple Music app or iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Open iTunes for Windows.

In the menu bar, choose Edit > Preferences.

Click the General tab, then click Import Settings.

Click the menu next to Import Using, then choose the encoding format that you want to convert the songs to. 

Click OK.

On your keyboard, hold down the Shift key and choose File > Convert > Convert to [import preference].

Select the folder or disk that contains songs that you want to import and convert.

Okay, but I get stuck on steps 6, and 7:

On your keyboard, hold down the Shift key and choose File > Convert > Convert to [import preference].

Select the folder or disk that contains songs that you want to import and convert.

And perhaps there's just a problem with my knowledge and understanding of Music Files, but when I hold down the Shift key, I don't see where I can choose File > Convert > Convert to [import preference]. Therefore, is there anyone who can assist me?

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 11:23 AM

Ignore the Convert ID3 Tags, there are times when that will be greyed out, but since it's not what you'ere trying to do, why worry about it?

I've carried out a bit more experimentation and discovered the following:

• if iTunes is busy converting a file when you click on Shift+File/Convert/Create MP3 Version, the "create mp3 version" command will be greyed out. So that suggests that you have managed to start the conversion of whichever song is currently selected and because iTunes is busy with that, the create command is greyed out. At that time, you might notice activity in the Now Playing window at the top of iTunes that tells you what it is converting, but it's quick, so you might miss it
  • in the first screenshot I showed you, did you notice the song highlighted in blue, under the menu?

• The blue line is a song that's highlighted (selected). I've discovered that in Windows 10, if you have five or more songs highlighted when you use the Shift+File/Convert option, iTunes will ignore the shift option and instead will convert the songs that are highlighted. Extraordinary, I know. Oddly, Windows 7 will still carry out the folder option with at least six songs highlighted, but eventually, that too fails in the same way.

So - it appears to be very easy to cause iTunes to fail open the "convert a folder" option. All I can say therefore, is follow the instructions very carefully and if they don't work, try again, ensuring that you really are doing it in the precise manner outlined.

It does work, but it's all too easy for the user to make it fail.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2020 11:23 AM in response to TomP37

Ignore the Convert ID3 Tags, there are times when that will be greyed out, but since it's not what you'ere trying to do, why worry about it?

I've carried out a bit more experimentation and discovered the following:

• if iTunes is busy converting a file when you click on Shift+File/Convert/Create MP3 Version, the "create mp3 version" command will be greyed out. So that suggests that you have managed to start the conversion of whichever song is currently selected and because iTunes is busy with that, the create command is greyed out. At that time, you might notice activity in the Now Playing window at the top of iTunes that tells you what it is converting, but it's quick, so you might miss it
  • in the first screenshot I showed you, did you notice the song highlighted in blue, under the menu?

• The blue line is a song that's highlighted (selected). I've discovered that in Windows 10, if you have five or more songs highlighted when you use the Shift+File/Convert option, iTunes will ignore the shift option and instead will convert the songs that are highlighted. Extraordinary, I know. Oddly, Windows 7 will still carry out the folder option with at least six songs highlighted, but eventually, that too fails in the same way.

So - it appears to be very easy to cause iTunes to fail open the "convert a folder" option. All I can say therefore, is follow the instructions very carefully and if they don't work, try again, ensuring that you really are doing it in the precise manner outlined.

It does work, but it's all too easy for the user to make it fail.

Jul 3, 2020 1:48 AM in response to TomP37

File is on the top bar menu:

• As you can see, Convert is on the File menu. When you place your mouse over the Convert option, the next menu appears. In my case, I have iTunes set to create mp3 version
  • if you fail to hold the shift key down when you click on Create MP3 Version, iTunes will simply convert the song (in iTunes) that is selected at the time
  • so - ensure that the shift key is held down when clicking on Create MP3 Version and the following dialogue opens up:

• Use the list on the left of the window to navigate to the folder of your choice. You have presumably put the music into a sub-folder within the Music folder. So start by clicking on Music, as indicated in the screenshot

Jul 27, 2020 9:47 AM in response to TomP37

I checked today and the only way I could replicate the greyed out create mp3 version is if I let go of the Shift key before clicking on File and any song was only "part-selected", that is, it's selected but the highlight is in grey, not blue:

You must have the Shift key on your keyboard depressed when you click on File.

The only other way I've managed to break this is if I switched to something such as the Genres view and then tried Shift/File/Convert>Create mp3 Version which caused the message shown below to appear:

Try it again, but be very precise about how you select and click on the commands.

Jul 29, 2020 6:39 PM in response to the fiend

Hmmm. Perhaps Windows 10 is different from Windows 7. When I follow your instructions, at first on the left-side panel under This PC, Documents is highlighted, but then I select Music. However, there is no blue line showing. But here are two screenshoots of that(uncropped, so my entire screen appears in all it's glory and is hopefully not a security risk in doing so).

Jul 30, 2020 10:07 PM in response to the fiend

Because I ripped all my CDs into the Windows Media Player Lossless format and I can't make USB flash drives music files that will play in my car and other devices because the normal mode that most devices use is MP3. Also, my Windows 10 iTunes dialogue screen looks totally different from your Windows 7 iTunes dialogue screen. Yours is blue and say Chose Conversion Destination while mine is white and only says Convert. But is there anyone at this forum who uses Windows 10? Or are you the only person in the house?

Aug 1, 2020 6:05 AM in response to TomP37

iTunes will convert tracks that you select to be converted to the format currently defined by your import settings. You can convert tracks that have already been added to the library by selecting them in the library. It matters not where these files are stored on your drives, the converted tracks will be placed where iTunes wants to put them, typically <Media Folder>\Music\<Artist>\<Album>. When you use File > Add Folder to Library and iTunes finds media files that it cannot play natively, but can convert, such as those in WMA format, it will ask for permission to convert those files as part of the import. There is no option to choose where the converted tracks are stored, although I suppose you can adjust the path to the media folder ahead of time should you choose.

tt2

Hold Down The Shift Key and Choose File > Convert > Convert to [Import Preference]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.