Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Minecraft app on Mac circumvents screen time

Why doesn’t screen time block the Minecraft app on Mac? Is there a way to block this? If I choose to block all apps after a certain amount of time, it only blocks the app launcher, but if the Java app is running, the time limit is not enforced!

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2020 6:57 PM

Dear raina_b22,

you gave a general answer that completely missed the point.

Giving general answers does more harm than good. It would be a smart idea to do some more homework before answering questions.

5 replies

Jul 7, 2020 12:13 PM in response to kottcamp

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities kottcamp,

We see that you're having an issue with Screen Time on your Mac. We know how important it is to be able to regulate these settings, and we'd be happy to provide you with some information to help.

Take a look at the articles below to help with setting up Screen Time and making sure that your settings are not set to "Always Allow".

Set time limits for apps and websites in Screen Time on Mac

Choose always allowed apps in Screen Time on Mac

If the issue remains, you can also try completely turning off Screen Time and then setting it back up again.

Turn off Screen Time on your Mac

Hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Sep 5, 2020 4:20 PM in response to kottcamp

It is because the Java version used by the Minecraft app is not in the applications folder, but in the following path: /Users/username/Application Support/minecraft/runtime/jre-x64/jre.bundle/contents/home/bin/java

note:

replace "username" with your username, "jre-x64" is for a 64 bit computer (I think), "contents" might not be in the actual path (I went through finder to get to it).

or you can just right click on its icon (if its in your dock) and select "show in finder".

If you can make an alias in the applications folder for Java, you could try to limit that instead (I think it would redirect the limit to Java itself).

Edit: Since Java is a Unix executable, I'm not sure if it will work

Minecraft app on Mac circumvents screen time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.