Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages switches between SMS and Messages formats in a single chat

Why would Messages switch between SMS and Messages formats in a single thread with only one person?

I use Messages in the U.S. to communicate with a person in Australia. There is a long thread. Usually each message I send goes using Messages format. But recently they seem to randomly get sent as SMS interspersed with Messages format.

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 9:01 AM

I think it depends on whether a data link is available at the time you send the iMessage.

For example, if you send an iMessage and you and the recipient are both connected to the Internet, it goes as an iMessage. If either of you do not have Internet access (possibly if the phone is without signal), it reverts to a standard text message.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2020 9:01 AM in response to Throwergb

I think it depends on whether a data link is available at the time you send the iMessage.

For example, if you send an iMessage and you and the recipient are both connected to the Internet, it goes as an iMessage. If either of you do not have Internet access (possibly if the phone is without signal), it reverts to a standard text message.

Jul 3, 2020 9:53 AM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

The_Knowledge_Seeker wrote:

You may well be right. Thank you. I looked again at the thread. The only messages that went through as SMS were addressed to the recipient's mobile phone number. Although some addressed this way did go through in Messages format.

All of the messages in the thread that were addressed to the person's email address did go through in Messages format.

Jul 3, 2020 12:19 PM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

The_Knowledge_Seeker wrote:

You've got it almost right. iMessage needs an active data connection (either WiFi or cellular). iMessages can go to either an Apple ID or a mobile number.

SMS messages do not require a data connection (except for pictures which require a cellular data connection). However, the phone must still be able to get a cellular voice signal. If the phone gets no signal, it's a paper weight.

Messages switches between SMS and Messages formats in a single chat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.