Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple music and family share

We use family share and the family apple music function. unfortunately, my son's account is also the main account...long story. how can I get all his music preferences onto a new account for him (still within family share). We thought about jsut transfering playlists...very time consuming

Is it possible to simply create a new apple ID, invite to family share, then he logs out of root account and logs into new account...will all his music preferences and iCloud back-ups and photos remain? is there a setting to do this when you log out on the iphone and log on with a new apple ID?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 6:38 PM

Do not create a new Apple ID. Anything purchased (including iCloud backups, photos, etc.) are forever tied to the Apple ID they were created with and cannot be transferred or merged to a new Apple ID unless you change it according to:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

but that won't help you with what you want to accomplish.

See the reply to:

How to switch Family Organizer - Apple Community

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2020 6:38 PM in response to james4rest34

Do not create a new Apple ID. Anything purchased (including iCloud backups, photos, etc.) are forever tied to the Apple ID they were created with and cannot be transferred or merged to a new Apple ID unless you change it according to:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

but that won't help you with what you want to accomplish.

See the reply to:

How to switch Family Organizer - Apple Community

Jul 4, 2020 6:53 AM in response to javaliga

Thanks Javalliga. Why would we lose anything? he HAS the main account that manages all transactions? the account will still exist, it just won't be used for anything other than itunes on the PC for account management and homesharing of movies etc. My wife and I are "parents" on the account. he would become just another family member...He is mostly concerned about his friends and followers on apple music and his playlists...if there is a way to transfer that...then my problems would be solved...

Apple music and family share

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.