Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpected Restart and not sure why

Just recently my 2018 MacBook Pro restarted. This is the first time it has done this. I received the message that it restarted because of a problem but I have nothing on my computer that could cause this problem. I have had this computer for over a year and had no issues with it until now.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 8:48 PM

Question - Did the MacBook Pro shut down the last and this time while you were watching videos? Which browser were you using to watch YouTube? Meanwhile, try the follow two basic troubleshooting methods first.

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. Then boot up your computer and shut it down again by choosing Shut Down from the Apple Logo on the Menu Bar (Top).
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM.

See if the above two methods help to prevent future unexpected shut downs.

Axel F.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2020 8:48 PM in response to MDRhea

Question - Did the MacBook Pro shut down the last and this time while you were watching videos? Which browser were you using to watch YouTube? Meanwhile, try the follow two basic troubleshooting methods first.

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. Then boot up your computer and shut it down again by choosing Shut Down from the Apple Logo on the Menu Bar (Top).
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM.

See if the above two methods help to prevent future unexpected shut downs.

Axel F.

Jul 3, 2020 7:04 PM in response to MDRhea

Shut down your 2018 MacBook Pro completely if you have not so by now. ReStart the MacBook Pro and continue using it normally as you do. Since this is the first time that has happened to you then I would recommend that you chalk this one up as an anomaly and move on. Should this continue to happen frequently then let us know and we can work on other troubleshooting methods.

Axel F.

Jul 5, 2020 5:28 PM in response to Axel Foley

Yes. My MacBook Pro shut down both times while watching videos and I was using the Safari browser. I followed the steps for the reset SMC method and I let it run for a bit before shutting in down for a few minutes. Once I turned it back on, I went back to YouTube and it seemed to be running okay. I kept it running for an hour before shutting it down for the night. So I’m wondering if I should let my MacBook stay turned off for a few days because I have been turning it on and using it everyday for months.

Jul 6, 2020 6:24 PM in response to Axel Foley

So today I went back onto my MacBook and preceded to go about my normal routine only for it to shut down again and restart twice. This time I decided to try the Reset NVRAM/PRAM method. However, I was still hesitant to do much on my MacBook so all I did was plug it into the charger as it really needed charged, close it and wait until it was fully charged before taking it off and shutting it down for the night. I’m still worried about it shutting down and restarting again. I did schedule an appointment to get it repaired. Not sure what else to do at this point. Also thank you so much for helping out. I greatly appreciate it. You’ve been very helpful through this whole process.

Unexpected Restart and not sure why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.