Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Current leakage on newer MacBooks

I just got a 2020 MacBook Air, and noticed current leakage (a tingling feeling when touching the metal) which I never had with any other MacBook before. It's only mildly disturbing, but I suspect it's probably not healthy for the computer, either. Searching the internet, I found a number of suggestions pointing to faulty grounding of the household wiring. That may be true for some, but the wiring (in our house in Austria) is fine - properly grounded.

The problem is Apple's power adapter. The one that came with my new MB Air was 2-pronged - no ground connection. The power adapters up to now have always had a ground connection. The solution was simple: I replaced the plug on the new adapter (easily slides off) with one from an older adapter, and now there's no more current leakage. I can't understand why Apple ships a problematic plug with the new power adapters, when they used to ship a better cord, which is healthier for the Mac.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 4:57 PM

I'm not sure why but in the U.S. Apple ships power adapters with 2 prong plugs (and has since at least 2012 and probably earlier). They used to include an extension cable with Mac laptops and it does have a 3 prong plug. They are now only sold separately. Power Adapter Extension Cable - Apple

However I've never had a problem due to the 2 prong plug.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2020 4:57 PM in response to gbdoc

I'm not sure why but in the U.S. Apple ships power adapters with 2 prong plugs (and has since at least 2012 and probably earlier). They used to include an extension cable with Mac laptops and it does have a 3 prong plug. They are now only sold separately. Power Adapter Extension Cable - Apple

However I've never had a problem due to the 2 prong plug.

Current leakage on newer MacBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.